Removing Carbon

GBlackwell

What's the best way to remove carbon buildup without too much elbow grease?

I'm on a skillet that really had it caked on and I've got about 1/3 of the underside that just doesn't want to come off with electrolysis. It spent 13 hours in there. I'll probably put it back inn tomorrow, but surely there's a better way. I use my SS chore boy, but that doesn't touch the slick stuff.

Any ideas?

I dont have a set up, but the Easy Off Method works for most anything, but its not fool proof. Thats the way I clean mine tho, since its my only choice. It works good, but leave it set on the piece for a min of a week.

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

By the way, Welcome to The Forums!

Thank you!

I may have to do that, though I was wanting a lye tank at some point anyways, it may have to sit longer with the weather the way it is.

Now I've got two skillets in this situation

My mother-in-law would take an old paring knife and scrape away until she had the cast iron pan spanking clean. I recently had to do a bit of the same for a pan that the heavy-duty oven cleaner didn't touch.

My mother-in-law would take an old paring knife and scrape away until she had the cast iron pan spanking clean. I recently had to do a bit of the same for a pan that the heavy-duty oven cleaner didn't touch.

That really is what works I guess, I just did that last night. Also, for big patches a razor blade works well if you try to shave it off. Though I broke two blades

Thank you!

I may have to do that, though I was wanting a lye tank at some point anyways, it may have to sit longer with the weather the way it is.

Now I've got two skillets in this situation

My Lye tank is in a heated garage. even lye solution that has cleaned close to 50 pieces will still soften a excessively cruddy pan in a few days. rinse under warm water while wiping with a scotchbrite pad and it usually wipes right off with little effort.

Back