Goldish hue

SteveL

I think I already know the answer but wanted to validate my suspicion. I picked up a #8 small logo Griswold from a guy as part of a 3 pan purchase for $20 and restoring a Wagner Ware/Griswold (International Chili Society) DO for him. The other 2 were a Wagner Chicken Fryer and a small griddle marked with a #8 that I'm pretty sure is a Lodge. Anyway, when I pulled the #8 Griswold from the lye bath I instantly noticed the outer sides had a goldish tint and brush marks going a various directions. To me this has the earmarks of someone using a brass wire wheel on a grinder on it in the past. Am I correct?? Any way to get rid of this? E-tank help? Will it darken to the point of being un-noticeable with seasoning?

It wouldn't have to be a brass wire wheel. Probably just a regular wire wheel with an aggressive operator. I have a "hammered ugly" that looks that way on the cooking surface. Lye, e-tank, seasoned several times and cooked in it many times. It's getting darker but will probably never get back to the way it should.

Maybe some of the other folks here have more experience on this problem.

Thanks Shawn. I was figuring brass due to the gold tint. Seems like I'm cursed whenever I come across a great deal on Griswold. Pitting under rust on a slant logo scotch bowl, #10 LBL EPU cracked side by spout under crud, now this. UGH!! :shootself:

I had a skillet some body used wire week,after lye the true comes on.so what I did, I sat the pan outside a month or so when I remember the pan was all rusted and thought ok let's start again a set it up on my e tank for a couple of days take it out rainse use ss wool and scrub it and those marks were gone.may be the iron under the brass marks got rusted and loosen up the brass and e tank pull out rust and brass.

Back