Waffles anyone?

JMoss

I found 3 waffle irons today. One Wagner (1408), one Griswold (885) and one Puritan.
All are low base #8's and the dealer wants $45 apiece for them (hopefully a lot less on a package deal). The are all in good shape but need cleaning and seasoning. I am not a WI collector but I'm considering buying them for resale. From what I gather from eBay, if restored, the Griswold is worth $50-60, the Wagner $60-70 and the Puritan $60-80. Can anyone tell me if these estimates are in the ballpark?

You can see them here
https://plus.google.com/118392149433464426705/posts/iPtDLqwDK4H

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jack

If no cracks, chips, pitting, or issues with the handles or bails, I'd say $45 a piece is already a reasonable price. Of course, you always like to do better if you can. Handles on the Griswold don't look original, but repros that come a lot closer are easy enough to fabricate. I think the Griswold and Wagner could bring more, the Favorite Puritan that or maybe less.

I've only seen four or five waffle irons in the wild during my short (but productive) cast iron collecting career.

$100+ seems to be normal pricing in Southern California. I like waffles, and I really need to get out east.

Jack, I saw a Griswold waffle maker in an antique store, some time ago, that didn't look near as good as the one you have there. They had a price of 125.00 on it. I've been wanting one for a long time but I just couldn't part with with that much $$$ at the time.

I found this thread searching for info on Puritan waffle iron, as I may pick up the same one as shown on here. I was thinking this might be Favorite as opposed to a Griswold, given no logo, so I think I found my answer. Any opinions in terms of which Puritan is preferred (collectable and for use), as well as wood handles vs wire handles / bail vs handle base? Thanks all

Back