• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Yummy "fri-quiche"

JenniferM

I wish I could provide the recipe, but this truly was just thrown together from what I had in my fridge ... Leftover potatoes from a roast, banana peppers, some onion, shredded cheese, eggs, broccoli, and bacon. I was inspired by some frittata and quiche recipes on Pinterest, but never made either, so why not combine the two with what I have?

I sautéed the diced onions & peppers in butter in a #10. Added in the potatoes and broccoli and kept stirring lightly with some salt & pepper added. Meanwhile, I heated up a #8 in the oven at 375, and whisked up #8 eggs in a bowl. I mixed into the eggs a handful of shredded cheese. Took the heated #8 out of the oven, added a tbsp of butter and smeared it around. Unrolled a refrigerated Pillsbury pie crust and laid it in the 8, slicing a couple small slits so it didn't bubble up. I precooked it a few mins at 375, and when it started to turn golden brown, pulled it out, and backed the oven temp down to 350.

Spooned the mixture from #10 into the #8 on top of the pie shell, omitting as much of the liquid as possible so it didn't get too mushy baking. Poured the egg & cheese mixture onto the other mixture in the #8, spreading the egg and cheese around a bit to ensure even distribution. Popped it back into the oven on 350 for about 30 mins, and voila ... My "friquiche" is done and delicious! :glutton:

Will try separate post for pictures ... They're not loading right for some reason.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

20150315_112710.jpg

20150315_113034.jpg

Well, the ingredients I used and instructions are there. It was what I had in my fridge, which may not be the same for others. The idea here is you can take what you have on hand, and make something pretty amazing with it. My partner was nagging me for breakfast, and I didn't want to make the same ole eggs, bacon & biscuits. :mrgreen:

Jennifer
Being a foodie, in a family of foodies, I've been enjoying the photos of your creations.
But they fall a little short of a more meaningful sensory experience.
What we need is someone to develop a "scratch and sniff" technology, like the perfume ads in magazines.

Can you picture this?

Jennifer
Being a foodie, in a family of foodies, I've been enjoying the photos of your creations.
But they fall a little short of a more meaningful sensory experience.
What we need is someone to develop a "scratch and sniff" technology, like the perfume ads in magazines.

Can you picture this?

I'm looking at my laptop as I type, and I see - in place of the webcam - a little 'puffer' thing (like at the eye doctor when they test your pressure) that emits a quick puff of aroma. If you think toner/ink jet cartridges are expensive, imagine the price of these! And like ink ... when one starts getting empty, you'd start receiving false odors/scents ... I can't go on anymore without teetering into naughty land. :icon_rofl:

Guess we'll have to stick to imagination. :)

Jennifer, why do you continue to subject us to such torture??? It all started with those pork chops... :glutton:

Jennifer, that looks quite a bit like my Dutch oven breakfast casserole ... except flatter. ;)

I bet it tastes great!

Sounds like it could be; did you post a recipe to it I can check out & try? I cooked mine in a skillet so it'd be easy to get out.

And I have to keep my "fri-quiche' name for when I make it. I can't eat things called by the "C" word. :covri: Call me crazy ... I know! And interestingly enough, I just found out at 40 years of age that my dad has the same hangup with eating things called cas......s. :covri:

Back