First try at restoration

B Oversmith

I had a newer Wagner 11.5" fat free skillet with the raised ridges in the pan. I soaked it in vinegar and water.1:1 I left it in over night because of a sick child. I took it out today and scrubbed the rust off with a green scrubber and dish soap. Not rusted deep just bad surface rust. I had it pretty clean dried for about 3 minutes in the oven at 275. Took it to the garage to run a wire wheel over the ridges in the skillet thinking that would get the rust off better. I was correct it took the rust off and the pan cracked right before my eyes. Did I leave it in the vinegar/water mixture too long? (Probably did) Did the change in temperature cause it to crack? Or maybe the crack was there and I didn't see it because of the rust? Any ideas?? Thanks. (It was a $5 pan I planned to cook on my BBQ grill from a flea market so I am not out much money.)

Neither of those actions should have resulted in a spontaneous cracking. Yes, a few hours is the longest you want to leave a piece soaking, even in a 50% vinegar solution.

Back