BSR 3 Q Sauce Pan

MDFraley

Passed on this piece a few weeks back but thanks to JMoss's post regarding BSR history I went back a week ago and picked this keeper up for $20. I know that's a lot compared to what some of us pay for C.I. but it talked to me so I had to give it my best to restore. It had a lot of rust plus someone had soaked it in diesel fuel to slow down the process. A few days in the lye bath, one in the e-tank, few hours in vinegar/water and a lot of elbow grease made it shine again. This is BSR's Red Mountain series w/ a reinforced tab on the bottom side of the handle. It used a #6 BSR skillet lid w/ two pour spout tabs which was standard for the 3Q sauce pan. Don't know its worth nor do I care but according to the BSR history they didn't make a lot of them. Thanks again Jack for the BSR info.

Attachments

• P3040337 - Copy.jpg
    P3040337 - Copy.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 64
  • P3040342 - Copy.jpg
    P3040342 - Copy.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 71
  • P3040358 - Copy.jpg
    P3040358 - Copy.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 69
Michael,
You are welcome. I do like my BSR.

I have a sister to your pan awaiting its turn in the e-tank.

Jack

That looks great! BTW, you stole it for 20 bucks. We have an early RM 3qt thats pitted but no lid yet. We use it all the time.

I went back a week ago and picked this keeper up for $20. I know that's a lot compared to what some of us pay for C.I......

Don't apologize.. Every single one of us has overpaid a bit for one piece or another. (I just did last weekend) And possibly quite a few pieces because we knew we'd have to wait a long long time before we found another any time soon. I paid $15 for this, because I'd never seen a CI sauce pan in the wild that wasn't an import. It didn't even have a lid. You did good.

To confirm Rick’s post: I wanted a very specific lid to go on my BSR chicken fryer. I found it on eBay attached to a BSR dutch oven $75 including shipping. Even though the DO was a spinner it needed a lid. I found a glass one that would work on eBay for $25. Turned out it has streaks in the glass that are ugly and can not be removed. I now have a BSR DO with lid that I can not give away which is a $100 investment, minus the lid I stole. Bottom line, I paid $100 for a lid for my chicken fryer.

Hilditch

To confirm Rick’s post: I wanted a very specific lid to go on my BSR chicken fryer. I found it on eBay attached to a BSR dutch oven $75 including shipping. Even though the DO was a spinner it needed a lid. I found a glass one that would work on eBay for $25. Turned out it has streaks in the glass that are ugly and can not be removed. I now have a BSR DO with lid that I can not give away which is a $100 investment, minus the lid I stole. Bottom line, I paid $100 for a lid for my chicken fryer.

Hilditch

Have you tried cleaning the lid with anything? My maid cleans my coffee cups with bleach and it removes all stains and the finish looks like brand new. She has no solutions for cleaning C.I but was most happy to see my display rack so she now cleans the kitchen in half the time. Let us know how the bleach turns out should you try. May do a before/after photo.
Good luck and thanks.....

Thanks MD. I tried everything in the house short of the grinding wheel. Clorox, vinegar, lye, paint remover, brake cleaner, etc. From certain angles one can see the streaks going right through the glass which you don’t accept until you have given your best shots at removing them.

I suspect this lid has received more cleaning attention over the last 60 years than any piece of CI could ever hope to get.

Hilditch

You got a heck of a deal. Something like that would be gone within the day at double the price anywhere near where I live.

Back