Lye Tank Failure

PaulM

Went out to check the tank this afternoon, and found it drained...
I checked it over, and it appears that it was due to a weakness in the container, vice having the lye somehow chew a hole through the plastic; just a very small crack in the turn at the bottom.

On the other hand, thought I'd check here.

I was using a 20 gallon black plastic Rubbermaid Roughneck trash barrel.

Has anyone else had that happen to a similar vessel?

Conversely, since I have to start anew, does anyone have what they think is a superior choice?

Thanks in advance for any history and advice.

Paul

I have one of those on my e tank,I found it on a dumpster it was on very bad shape,I have it sitting outside for 2 years 24/7 and still no leaks,other option is one of those blue barrels,(drums) check Craig's list you can get it for $15-20,those are thicker than the Rubbermaid.

Hey Paul,

I unintentionally ended up with the same Brute (TM) trash can mentioned below from the "Using Lye" section of the Cast Iron Restoration description on this site. The only difference is I lined it with a plastic trash can bag. Been sitting in the summer sun on a concrete slab for over a month. No problems. Have 10 gallons of solution in it. Deep enough to treat a #10 Wagner. Had a #8 Wagner, a #10 Wagner and a #3 Vollrath (we think) at the same time. May post before and after pictures on a different place.

I'm recent to CI and this site. Consistently impressed by the knowledge and willingness to share. It takes a lot of time to read and check it all out, but there is soooooooo much info on this site. In my humble and (correct) opinion, this is an invaluable resource. Just wish I could have some of these experts by my side when I find something that looks interesting to me.

From the website:

"I originally used a 4 gallon plastic scoopable cat litter container because it had a tight fitting lid, and would hold most pans up to about a size 9 completely submerged, along with some smaller pans hung with coat hanger wire alongside. I later replaced it with a 20 gallon Brute™ trash can with a locking lid. Any similar, sturdy container capable of holding its volume in water, with a secure cover to keep out inquisitive children or pets will also suffice. Over time, plastic containers not made of UV resistant material, if used outdoors, will become brittle and need to be replaced before they crack and leak."

Repeating the point quoted above from Doug's main website, doesn't matter how heavy duty it is, if it's going to be used/stored outside you need to find a UV resistant material if you want it to last.

Back