Help Identifying Please

AnnaM

I purchased what I found to be a Turk's Head muffin pan at a yard sale today. My camera is in storage while we wait to move in to our house (smart move, I know), but it is almost exactly the same shape and style as this listing:

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Antique ... n/41279896

The edges of mine seem to have cleaner, slightly thicker cut and there is no lip on the underside of the handles.There is an H engraved on the underside of one handle and the the words "MADE IN USA" spread across the underside of three of the cups (third row from the handle with the H).

I've only recently started adding to my grandmother's cast iron, so my knowledge is lacking (as is my Google-ability this round). I don't expect much from a $2 pan, but if anyone has any insights, it's always fun to find things out.

Thanks for your time in either case! :)

Sounds like it might be a Lodge 20M2. The "Made In USA" would put it in the early 1960s or later. It has since been discontinued, IIRC. The original #19 (6-cup) and #20 (12-cup) "turk's head" or "fluted" muffin pans were of an open frame design. It would appear that the advent of automation made that type of design unfeasible, so a more solid revision was devised, which also happened to borrow heavily from Griswold. Uninformed eBay sellers are therefore sometimes quick to try to attribute this piece to Griswold, especially if it happens to have the "G" pattern letter.

The other US manufacturers of that era who made unmarked pieces and put "Made In USA" on them would have been BSR and Wagner. Wagner's 12-cup closed frame turk's head did not have handles, and I don't think BSR made a turk's head pan, at least I haven't seen one.

Don't discount Lodge in your search for good vintage cast iron, though. Their products from the 1950s and before are of quality on par with Griswold and Wagner, they just didn't put their name all over them.

Back