Lodge #4

JBPoole

Found a Lodge #4 today!

Three notches, somewhat crude 4 at 12 o'clock, small bold H at 6 o'clock. Does NOT have Lodge name on it. Bottom shows some wear, but is perfectly flat.

Found a similar skillet on the pan handler website for $125.

Any idea as to when it was made and a realistic value?

Thanks!

The Lodge section on the same page I referred you to yesterday will give an idea as to time frame. For value, I would look at eBay sold listings, although many sellers don't recognize unmarked name brand maker pieces. Panhandler is always at least double plus some over what I consider reasonable value, so IMO, being a #4, and if undamaged, about $25. While there is, I suppose, a certain value in having another find and rehab old CI to some people, I am not among them.

I am aware of the very useful information regarding unmarked iron on this site and have consulted it a number of times. Just didn't know if the #4 was only produced during certain years. I have read about the scarcity of the #4 and wondered what a realistic value might be. Did not find any eBay sales.

Good information. Thanks!

JBPool,
I feel your frustration about the values. I found a single notch #4 Lodge that appears to be in good unrestored condition. Couldn't find any comps on EBay but I found one for sale on another site. They were asking only $35 for it. I was shocked at how low the price was. Maybe I just like the old Lodges too much. I'll pick it up tomorrow and post pictures when I get it home.

Jack

Lodge #4s appear to have been dropped sometime between 1965 and 1987, along with 7s and 9s.

Back