Stumped in Colorado

CPike

Hello,
Although I've taken a pictures of this skillet to several antique dealers and looked through their books, so far no positive result.

Can you identify it? Although the pictures doesn't show it, all of the depressions are the same size. As shallow as they are, I can't image what it could be used for.

Thanks for any help in identifying you may be able to give,
CPike

Attachments

• cast iron skillet_resize.jpg
    cast iron skillet_resize.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 42
Welcome CPike!
I'm also live in Colorado (Denver), I haven't met anybody else on the boards from Colorado up until this point!

Where in CO are you located?

Again, welcome to the board!

-J

I'm pretty sure it's an escargot dish. they're pretty small in comparison to other similar pans and have shallow depressions like yours.

20150602_133639.jpg

They're usually made of earthenware like these from Vallauris, France. Does your dish have any marks on the back?

Thanks for all the replies.
Hmmm, escargot -- maybe. But the depression is verrry shallow - maybe 1/2" at the most. Does that seem right for those yummy snails?

The picture of the one from France appears to be deeper -- is it?

I am in Denver.

Cast iron seems not too well-suited for escargot. The dimples are too small and shallow to be an aebelskiver, but I could see maybe some other kind of small puffy pancake type of things being cooked on it.

On mine the cavities measure approximately 1.25 inches in diameter by 0.75 inches deep. I've seen them made from cast iron before. Most are made from earthenware or copper, and they can have very shallow cavities like your pan. I'm no expert on escargot cookware, but one exactly like yours sold on eBay as a vintage escargot pan. Not that the seller was correct. It could be for someting else. It's just my best guess. If you do a search you'll see a lot of variation in the cookware made for cooking escargot.

Back