Cast Iron Chicken Pot Pie

EricC

Chicken Pot Pie

Peel and dice a large russet potato and about half as much sliced carrot (in this case I bought fresh pre-sliced carrots). Cover in water, salt, bring to boil, and boil 8 - 10 mins. Drain.
Meanwhile, dice 1 lb chicken thighs or breasts, depending on your preference, and cook them in a #10 with some salt and pepper then set aside.

Melt 1/2 cup of butter in the same #10 and add a large white onion, diced, and sauté until soft.

Add 1/2 cup flour and mix well into a roux. Stir in 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and 3/4 cup milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste and a pinch of thyme (be careful not to overdo the thyme). Cook, mixing well, until it turns into a very thick gravy.

Mix in cooked chicken, potatoes & carrots, and one cup fresh (or frozen) corn. If you prefer, you can sub half or all of the corn with peas.

Take a sheet of puff pastry (can be bought frozen, thaw first) and use a rolling pin to roll it out to a size that will completely line the inside of a #8 skillet and have overhang. Line the skillet then spoon in your filling.

Roll out the other sheet of puff pastry (there's typically two per package) large enough to cover the #8 with overhang. Cover the pie, pinch along the skillet rim to seal, then trim off excess. Brush melted butter over the top and cut some vents (alternatively, brush an egg wash for a more glossy, but less buttery, final result).

Bake at 425 degrees for 20 - 30 mins or until golden brown.

Let rest for at least 15 mins then slice and serve. Enjoy!

Yes that dose look good:) and that recipe seems to be very similar to mine.
I can second the need of poaching on the potatoes and carrots for 8-10 minutes. They need to soften some to finish cooking in the pie on time. And the tatters if you don't will soak up most of the sauce and be a very dry pie. Ask me how I know:chuckle:

It took me about 3 times to get the measurements close to right on the size of dish I wanted to use and what ingredients I wanted in it.

Great looking chicken pie.

Back