I think I caught a CI bug.

Shawn R

Hey everyone. Thanks for letting me join the forums. My wife and I decided to start using CI to cook and start phasing out the others. I've had a 12in Lodge DO for years, enjoy using while camping. Also have a few odds and ends.

This past weekend was our first search trip for vintage CI and found a few pieces. Thanks to this website we have learned a lot about these "new to us" pieces. Now I think I am hooked. I can't wait to get out and search again.

Our new pieces are a large block Griswold #7, an egg logo 12in Lodge and an unmarked 3 notch Lodge #5. The 3 notch Lodge was bought cheap because it was covered in crud and rust. I built an e-tank out of a 5 gallon bucket and soaked it for a few hours yesterday. It's on the second round of seasoning right now. It turned out to be a great looking skillet.I have pics but need to resize before I can post them.

Our weekend finds

Attachments

• 2015-4-18 cast iron 006em.jpg
    2015-4-18 cast iron 006em.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 2015-4-18 cast iron 007em.jpg
    2015-4-18 cast iron 007em.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 2015-4-18 cast iron 001em.jpg
    2015-4-18 cast iron 001em.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 18
E-tanked 3 notch Lodge. Still seasoning.

Attachments

• 2015-4-18 cast iron 019em.jpg
    2015-4-18 cast iron 019em.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 2015-4-18 cast iron 021em.jpg
    2015-4-18 cast iron 021em.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 2015-4-18 cast iron 032em.jpg
    2015-4-18 cast iron 032em.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 26
Nice pictures. I like the mini version of the E tank. You make me want to give it a try. That lodge sure turned out nice. :icon_thumbsup:

For a "first search" you're doing pretty good..... I see people on other sites searching for months for what you found on your first time out.

By the way... It's not a "bug", it's a disease.. :redface:

Before you know it you'll be at yard sales, flea markets, thrift stores, asking neighbors, passing out flyers, "WANTED: Cast Iron Cookware." etc..

Be careful.

My wife came home with a #9 large block Griswold yesterday. She found it at an antique store just 2 blocks from her work. The store owner took her name/number and said she would call my wife when she got something else in, even offered layaway if she had several pieces. Yeah, Im in trouble.

Welcome to the site, looks you are doing good for your self.

Note of caution, Two people in the same home with this disease spells a lot of work. Roll up the sleeves.:icon_thumbsup:

I've got the same Lodge in a #3 that I recently identified. Found it in my friend's cabin and ran it through the self clean oven. Came out much the same. Now that I'm looking for better pieces, I moved to the Oven cleaner in black bag route, but wanted to try electrolysis. What did you use for your mini setup? Looks like it could be ideal.

-James

I've got the same Lodge in a #3 that I recently identified. Found it in my friend's cabin and ran it through the self clean oven. Came out much the same. Now that I'm looking for better pieces, I moved to the Oven cleaner in black bag route, but wanted to try electrolysis. What did you use for your mini setup? Looks like it could be ideal.

-James

I used a 5 gallon bucket, 4 pieces of 14" long rebar and solid strand copper wire. I drilled holes at the top of the bucket, put small sections of wire through the bucket and around the rebar then back out the bucket. Twist the wire to secure the rebar to the bucket and leave a short section of wire remaining. Go around the outside of the bucket with longer copper wire and use a wire nut to link each piece of rebar. Add enough water to cover the skillet and add 1 tbsp of Arm-n-Hammer washing powder per gallon of water. Hang the skillet with steel wire from a piece of wood. Make sure it doesn't touch the rebar and hangs just off the bottom of the bucket. Attach the neg lead of a battery charger to the skillet and the positive to the copper wire that is attached to the rebar. Plug the battery charger in and let it do the work. Unplug the charger and check your work every few hours.

You will have to remove the rebar and clean on a wire wheel before each project to get it to work good. I got the idea from a you tube video.

Back