• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Cornbread

GCrawford

Anyone willing to share their (families') recipe for cornbread? Or if the recipe is yours, how did you evolve to it?

I doubt many will go to this much trouble but here's my “go to” recipe:

I start with a good white corn, Truckers Favorite, Hickory King, Old Farmers Prolific are all good choices.

1 cup of corn kernels
1/3 cup soft white wheat berries (optional, if you like flour in your cornbread)
2-3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
¼ cup melted butter (or preferred oil)
1 lg egg
Buttermilk (I never really know how much but you want the batter sloppy like pancake batter . . . probably about 2 cups when the oil, egg, and buttermilk are mixed together. The old "rule of thumb" is equal amounts of corn meal and buttermilk)

Since the corn and wheat berries are raw and unprocessed, “look” them good for foreign materials like rocks, etc. then mill in a mill (I use a Whisper Mill on the course setting). This will produce about 2 to 2 ½ cups corn meal.
Mix the dry ingredients well with a whisk.
Mix the wet ingredients. Combine.

I make my batter wet, almost sloppy or the cornbread will be dry.

When I get a hankering for Yellow cornbread I use Stiver's Best Yellow Plain cornmeal in roughly the same proportions as above.

When I really feel naughty I'll drop in a few cracklin's :icon_thumbsup:

Oh, I left out the best part. Straight out of the oven cut it in half, split one half open and pack it full of butter. That's really, really naughty!

G,

Thanks. Sounds very good.

!WOW. Thank You! Thought I was doing it "from scratch". You start about 1/2 an hour or so before that! Impressive.

Since you're cutting the corn off the cob, what do you do about the liquid before you put the kernels in the mill?

Wally

G,

Thanks. Sounds very good.

!WOW. Thank You! Thought I was doing it "from scratch". You start about 1/2 an hour or so before that! Impressive.

Since you're cutting the corn off the cob, what do you do about the liquid before you put the kernels in the mill?

Wally
Wally,
I use dried corn kernels, NOT fresh corn. When the dry kernels are milled they produce corn meal like you purchase in the bag at the store.

The corn is dried on the stalk in the field then shelled and dried to less than 10% moisture. It is then stored in such a way to kill the corn weevil larvae, then used as needed. Corn stored in such a way will keep almost indefinitely.

Hope that clarifies my previous post.

G,

Sounds like an 8" skillet? Right?

Thanks.

Wally.

P.S. Will eventually try your "from scratch" recipe. However, will first use store bought milled ingredients.

Thank you for sharing.

G,
Recipe sounds great....Just wondering what temperature you are cooking at assuming its an oven baking procedure. My mothers recipe was similar to yours and I remember her using a skillet atop the stove and the oven also. She referred to hers as corn pone.

Back