Grooved Handle Griswolds

MikeZ

Can anyone tell me if there's a narrower date line for the grooved handle style skillets than the 1944-1957 range? I think I read of a shorter production period, but can't remember what it was or where I (might have) seen it. I've been putting together sets of them, minus the unicorn number 10, and would like to have accurate info for the fact sheet I provide with a set. Also, did the groove have a purpose, like keeping the handle cooler, or was it just a design feature. Thanks

I think I've seen various people hypothesize that they didn't actually make the late handle and the grooved handle designs at the same time... and that they believed the grooved handle was the last handle design.. but since no one was able to nail down a specific time frame the books and other sites just go with the 1944-1957 for both... so the theory then is that the range for grooved should be roughly 1950-1957... and that leaves the late handle as 1944-1950-ish... but those are all just guesses... I think it gets complicated when you get to the pieces other than normal skillets... the square ones, the quakerware, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm thinking this is a question that could be answered by researching Griswold catalogs, to see when the line was first offered and then no longer offered. Not surprising, grooved handles aren't offered in my 1941 Salesman's catalog, so I'll be using that as a starting point.

I doubt you'll find mention or even illustration of the handle design in catalogs. About the only thing we can be reasonably certain of is that the grooved handle is later than the "late" handle. As to its purpose, it may be as simple as saving little bit of iron. Maybe not.

Back