Preheat Cast Iron for Baking Pizza at Higher Temperatures?

DReedy

When I roast or bake normally it is at a temperature of 350 or lower thus I just put the skillet, roaster, or dutch oven directly into the oven without preheating, but when using my skillet on the stove top, I heat the skillet slowly in stages.

Now I am thinking of making some pizza and it calls for cooking at temperatures of 450 to 500, so should I preheat my skillet before putting in the oven as not to damage?

thank you,
Dean

Not sure what exact procedure you're following for the pizza, but I always like to preheat my skillets in the oven before bringing out to the stove top to sear meat, then return to the oven to finish cooking. Oven preheating will always be the safest for an empty pan. Assembling a pizza in a blazing hot pan may not be what you're looking to do.

I regularly make pizza in an old bottom gate marked #10 skillet. I leave it in 20 minutes at 450 degrees. I have never preheated the pan and have never had any trouble.

Doug, I am hoping to create the pizza in a room temperature skillet than add the skillet to the hot oven. I did see a recipe by Pioneer Woman assembling a pizza in a preheated hot skillet, maybe I will try that later.

Jody, it appears you do what I am hoping to do and my pan should be safe.

thank you,
Dean

A good question.

For what it's worth, I regularly make cast iron pizza by assembling the pizza in a pan at room temperature and then putting it directly into a preheated oven at 500. I have never had an problem.

Same thing with corn bread, skillet cakes, etc. albeit not at as high a temperature.

At home I don't use CI for pizza, I preheat a pizza stone and use a wood paddle to drop the assembled pizza on it. Just did that tonight.

But when camping, I'll cook pizza in a spider skillet w/lid like a DO, and I do not preheat it, I assemble it in the cold CI then put it over/under coals.

Corn bread, I preheat my wedge skillets with oil then mix the hot oil into the batter before pouring the batter into the skillets.

Back