unmarked wagner

RickA

Hello,I am new here and have enjoyed reading posts and trying to learn a little.I am interested in a collection of Wagner unmarked,I like the smooth handle on top.And these will be user pans.What is the difference in pre 1960 or post 1960.Are the made in usa pans shorter in height? rougher surface inside? thanks.

Polishing appears to have survived past the "Made In USA" point, and even to some point past the removal of the "Sidney -O-" on marked pieces. I would look for the earlier unmarked smooth bottoms with the early handle that don't say "Made In USA". Those should be the nicest lightest castings of the smooth bottom era. Unmarked Wagner of any period, unlike Wagner's old National economy brand, do not appear to be any different dimension-wise than the marked pieces.

Automatic molding machines were coming into being a little before 1960 and hand made quality was going away. You will notice that most of the quality makes of iron cookware before 1958 will be nicer finished and with a smoother finish than the newer pieces. The design or style is usually more pleasing also. The "good stuff" will be pre-1960 in almost all cases with some of the best from the 1920s and back into the latter part of the 1800s.

Wow! I really have to set up an electrolysis tank this weekend. I did set up one with vinegar mid-week but I think I ended up working a lot harder than I had to for some rust in the pitting on the underside of a pan.

Back