Stubborn pan

Just won't let go of those last few speckles of black. Got this on from a yard sale had, not kidding, 1/4" of gunk in places. Now I just can't get the last little bit. I've done several lye baths for days at a time, even set up a little elctrolosis tank. Lots of scrubbing too. What should I do? Kick it to the curb or...

Image Image

You could either:

Throw it back in the lye bath, forget about it for a couple of weeks, and see if that works.

Try some full strength white vinegar sprayed directly on the spots, wait a few minutes, and scrub with some fine steel wool.

Failing that, just season and use it. The spots will blend in as the pan darkens.

Thanks, Ill probably toss it back in the lye tank for now. The black spots arent just stains, they are raised deposits on the cooking surface and bottom, I kind of like this pan and would like to get it 100%. Not to mention I will feel like I lost if I cant clean it 100%.

Im thinking that my electrolysis setup could use some work. I can only get an hour or two before the amperage goes to zero. Then I have to dry my anode and grind it back to bare metal. Any suggestions there? Im using a strip of 5 x 14 x 1/16 steel sheet and a 10A 12V charger on one side at a time.

I like that vintage of Lodge as well-- heavier castings, but still being polished. And often found at bargain prices.

I use 10 amps, but my anode is a piece of sheet metal roughly 18x20. I only occasionally scrape it down with a 5" putty knife, flip it over to the other side after some number of uses, and when it begins to rot through, I replace it.

I have found that after a few uses that lye loses strength, maybe a fresh batch is needed.
If it is fresh you could mix it a little more concentrated.

I have experienced some carbon deposits that don't want to come off. Many times I will resort to scraping off the carbon with an old 1" or 1-1/2" putty knife. You want to make sure you don't scratch the pan so an older knife that has some worn edges and corners is best. I'll also use a razor scraper but, again, be careful to not scratch the pan. Sometimes I will use 8 grit wet or dry paper (wet) to sand the inside of a pan clean of reluctant black carbon. A trip in the oven to at least 450 deg. will darken the now shiny surface. I don't sand on surfaces that were never polished.

Hi. I have had a few pans like this, where a couple of spots just won't scrub clean. Sometimes a few weeks or more in the lye bath works, other times it doesn't.
It always bugs me too that I can't get it off. If it doesn't work after weeks in the bath I call it good. Season it a few times and start using it. After a little while she all blends in and you don't see it anymore.

Good luck. I've scrubbed so many pans now that a little bit of carbon that won't come off doesn't bother me anymore. But I get it....some pans are so perfect I expect them all to be. I've had a few stubborn ones too....it isn't worth the effort anymore to me. Not after seeing how it does blend in and if it doesn't come off with all the scrubbing and a month in the bath I future it isn't going to come off in my food either.

And after a few weeks of using it I forget which pans I had trouble with now. :)

Back