Something about old waffle irons...

I am starting this thread to both make a comment and ask for ideas on the subject. In a recent thread, an old waffle iron for sale is pictured by SpurgeonH. The subject of the thread he is commenting on relates to finding sprue marks on a Dutch oven (but which probably aren't actually sprue marks, as the pieces which are so marked are really antique.) Spurgeon, this is just my opinion, but if I were you I'd look really closely at that waffle iron. I don't know about the age, but I do know the pattern on the outside is characteristic of early 19th century design. Can you talk to anyone about its provenance? Does anyone else here have an opinion about this? I have just the paddles of an old waffle iron that is marked Wheeling F undary (yes someone missed the 'o' in the name), and the design of the baking faces (terminology?) is classical 1840's to 50's. (Egg and dart and lyres.) Someone had it hanging on a wall for decoration, or it wouldn't still be around, I expect. I've managed to trace the history of the foundry in Wheeling, and I think my no. 9 teakettle was made by the same firm under the name Sweeneys sometime after 1869. The subject of the items which are early 19th century or older and how you can date them is endlessly fascinating to me. Any comments?

Sharon, I'll see if I can get the name of the owner of the booth from the managers of the antique mall. That particular booth has a trunk full of John Wright baking molds and a couple of new Lodge skillets ... then, sitting to the side, as if the John Wright stuff was the main attraction and this was just an afterthought, sits the spruce marked waffle iron. Of course, the price he is asking shows that this is his prized possession.

I think it would be a beautiful piece if cleaned and seasoned.

Spurgeon....I think you meant "sprue mark" in your reply to Sharon and not spruce. Spell check may have changed it...not for sure.
The waffle iron you posted in ScottMcCarrick's post is not too awful uncommon. I see them on eBay just about every time I search there. Not sure if all A.J.Cox irons were labeled but everyone I have seen it is on the WI base. They were out of Philadelphia and I think are listed in our CIC data base under "foundries". The price varies on them so $95 may turn out to be a low price when compared to others. I would check the hinge area real careful. That's where most cracks are on those type hinges.
Sharon...Have no comment for you. Sounds like you have a unique piece with that missing "O".

Sharon, I have a couple of the old waffle irons you are talking about. I know those symbols were quite popular during the Victorian period. The part that makes it difficult for me to pinpoint the age is the fact that these irons are such a fine casting. It makes me wonder, were people really good at making waffle irons and then they got worse, and then better again? It seems backwards that these castings are so thin and smooth, at least the ones I have are. If you come across any info to help date them please share it.

Re: Something about old waffle irons..

Sprue marks ... not spruce marks. Dang spellchecker! Thanks for catching that. I don't want to mislead anybody.

A sprue mark is a round mark left of cast iron due to pouring the liquid iron into the sprue. ("A sprue is the passage through which liquid material is introduced into")

A spruce mark, on the other hand, is made by placing needles (usually in the shape of a Christmas tree) from a spruce pine in the mold before pouring the iron into the mold. ;)

Thanks for the heads up on the manufacturer. I'll check it out!

Thanks for your responses, folks. I now realize that I didn't mention something about my Wheeling F undry piece. There is a very distinct sprue mark on the outside of each paddle, and each is set near a design which is classic Victorian flower and vine. I have not been able to get my "other half" to see if he can get his camera to work and then upload pictures so I can show you all what I'm talking about, which is very frustrating. I wish to note in response to Bonnie's comment and question that the waffle iron paddles are a heavy casting, and while the designs are nice, the overall quality is what I describe as primitive. Since Wheeling was not far beyond frontier status in the early 19th century, I think that might explain what I have. (Also, the little spelling problem with the foundry name.) P.S. Just got curious and weighed the paddles on my bathroom scale: 6.4 pounds! I'm not surprised the base is gone; somebody probably used it for a boat anchor! Also just realized I misspelled F undry in my original message! No proofreading jobs for me.:covri:

Back