Latest finds

Took a 140 mile round trip to see an estate sale. It did not happen.
On my way there I entered Northwood NH to a sign that said "Antique Alley"

OBOY!
Stopped at 6 or so and saw some really nice iron. Price Ok but not good enough for me. I did break down and spend some real money. I believe i got some really good deals

Iron Mountain #8 DO great shape
Single pour spout gatemark skillet.#8?
Both for $60

Lodge 1 notch hammered #3 skillet for my collection
National #7 skillet
Griswold LBL #7 skillet
all 3 for $65

pics coming

nSNDhINm.jpg

l1MszZ3m.jpg

tdfGcMem.jpg

TvX9l8Im.jpg

hzYM1Vxm.jpg

Wow! Another great day of deals! I have the hammered Lodge. The outside of mine cleaned up great and is beautiful, but the inside has some pitting issues. (mine was so caked with gunk, you could barely even make out that it was hammered.)

I love the raised number on the DO. I'm a sucker for raised numbers now.

Wow! Another great day of deals! I have the hammered Lodge.

I love the raised number on the DO. I'm a sucker for raised numbers now.

Thanks
The Lodge seems to be in great shape.It sits almost flat. The movement is so miniscule you can barely feel it. The other Gris. and Nat. are very crusty. The single spout has a little rust on the bottom and some pretty good seasoning. No idea how they will turn out. They are in lye now. The raised number is what caught my eye. The DO has a very minor wobble. The lid sits flat on a flat surface and sits flat on the DO. I expect that to be very nice when finished. I have seen pics of a freshly seasoned Iron Mountain DOs and they have this spectacular dark chocolate color

That single spout is FREAKING COOL! Any history on that thing?

It is cool. I saw it in a pile and said to myself "Self, that's a single spout, you know it is, grab it quick". Then I slyly looked around to see if anyone else was interested but I was alone in the shop
The history is unknown. Pretty much all gated items are from unknown foundries. Its stories are lost in time

The history of the single spout is quite interesting. At one time, all skillets were single spout. The transition to two spouts is the first example in world history of "political correctness". Single spouts inherently discriminate against left-handed people. If you will notice the positioning of the single spout, it was made for a right-handed person to pour the grease, etc from the pan. Left-handed people had to use their weaker hand. Over time they became angry about this injustice. So, they organized a Million Southpaw March on Washington to convince Congress to pass a law requiring two spouts on every pan. Unfortunately, since there aren't many left-handed people, it was only a Seven Southpaw March. Still, Congress listened, and today all pans have a pour spout on each side. ;)

Spurgeonh, I spit my morning coffee out all over the keyboard on that one. Not having enough coffee in me when I read this, it took me 5 lines in to actually get it! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As i was reading I remembered seeing single spouts for lefties. Im thinking how wrong you are. Then I got to "Over time they became angry about this injustice" and realized i got had

The history of the single spout is quite interesting. At one time, all skillets were single spout. The transition to two spouts is the first example in world history of "political correctness". Single spouts inherently discriminate against left-handed people. If you will notice the positioning of the single spout, it was made for a right-handed person to pour the grease, etc from the pan. Left-handed people had to use their weaker hand. Over time they became angry about this injustice. So, they organized a Million Southpaw March on Washington to convince Congress to pass a law requiring two spouts on every pan. Unfortunately, since there aren't many left-handed people, it was only a Seven Southpaw March. Still, Congress listened, and today all pans have a pour spout on each side. ;)

:icon_rofl::laughup::bow:

Got the National the single spout and the DO lid cleaned and seasoned

The National is a #8 with a star. Looks very nice. Sits almost flat. Very minor wobble,. I cant tell if the bottom is very worn or the pattern was worn.

The lid looks great. Fits the National nice and tight.

The single spout has a lot of casting flaws and it rocks on the gate mark

The Griswold is LB #6 and is very crusty on the bottom I might have to etank it

Back