Clark's Patent bowl, please ID and date.

TyHiggins

I'd guess English, really hoping it might be before 1800 or not much after that date. Looks enameled on the inside, about the size of a small soup bowl.

Last edited:
I see quite a few of these around these part, but cast aluminum rather than iron. I have no idea of age in either case. It will be interesting to find out ...

"The Housewares Story" by Earl Litshey says that enameling on cast iron was in early production around 1838 and being done in Belgium and in England (the Eagle Foundry in Birmingham) but it sounds as if only a few pieces were being produced this early. I don't know the age of your piece but it would seem to be well into the 1800s.

I should have added that the cast aluminum bowls I'm finding, while very similar in size, design and shape, are not enameled.

Thanks Doug, interesting. But I can't seem to agree with the condition on the porringer in the second link you posted. "In excellent condition, including the enamel"
If that's EXCELLENT I'll be dammed. I'd say fair to good. Maybe they mean the usual "excellent condition for its age" which is meaningless. I've always kind of liked those old porringers but, if I ever had one, it was one or two at the most. See them around from time to time.

Oh happy me, might be the best $10 I ever spent. And look what I found today to go with it.

Last edited:
I find that iron cookware from other countries is very different than our N. American cookware. Seems strange but that's the way it seems to be.

Back