Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Show & Tell

Notices

Show & Tell Share Your Cast Iron Cookware Finds and Restorations

Old 01-08-2015, 02:02 PM
Site Admin

Default Don't Show, Just Tell

I thought it would be interesting to know how forum members became CI collectors or avid users. I came up with a short list of questions. Feel free to add to this thread with your answers (but no photos). Please keep replies in this thread confined to responses to the original post questionnaire.:

1. What is the first piece of cast iron cookware you actually owned?
2. Do you consider yourself more a collector, a user, or both?
3. What is the first piece you acquired with an eye toward collecting?
4. What is the first truly collectible piece you acquired?
5. If you were forced to give up your collection except for one piece, what would that piece be?
6. Knowing it's hard to name a single favorite, name up to three CI items, rare or not, on your "holy grail" or "bucket list".

1. A 1970s Lodge 10SK skillet I grabbed from my parents' garage sale to equip my own kitchen.

2. I don't use every piece I own, but I do use CI to cook in nearly every day, so both.

3. A Wagner Ware (no Sidney -O-) Made In USA #3 skillet at a flea market.

4. A Griswold #7 SBL grooved handle skillet at a flea market.

5. I'll go with sentimental over rare or useful, and say my grandmother's Griswold #8 LBL smooth bottom skillet.

6. Hard to narrow to three, but among them would be a Griswold #14 turk's head pan, any Wagner pie logo skillet I don't already have, or a Favorite Piqua waffle iron with the sunrise logo and the original blue enameled base.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2015, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Don't Show, Just Tell

1. Lodge logic 12" preseasoned, circa 2004.
2. More user; I don't intend to buy any piece if it's not something I'd use.
3. Iron Mountain #3.
4. Iron mountain #3? If that's not considered "collectible" I'd have to say the third series Erie I got recently.
5. Erie.
6. 1: Erie second series 10 with circle triangle star makers mark. 2. Not one item, but I'd love to have the entire Iron Mountain line of cast. That would be cool.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:34 PM

--A Lodge 12" pre-preseasoning era skillet that I found under the counter of my second apartment.

--User who likes old and unique cookware.

--I collect pieces to use...first piece I had to have was a Lodge Pineapple Pan.
--First ever, Griswold #8 Skillet with Lid from my Grandmother. First I bought,Griswold Crispy Corn Stick Pan.

5. If you were forced to give up your collection except for one piece, what would that piece be? The unmarked Lodge DO, unmarked Lodge Deep Skillet and Griswold #8 Skillet with Lid....all my Grandmothers.

6. Knowing it's hard to name a single favorite, name up to three CI items, rare or not, on your "holy grail" or "bucket list".
Bundt pan, Griswold #14 Large Block TM, Lodge Deep Fish Fryer 3060 with 3093 Lid or Sportsman Duck lid.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:47 PM

First, let me say this. I remember being in my grandmothers' kitchens--'50s,
'60s and watching them cook and clean cast iron. Ask one, why do you have that stack of newspapers? Answer, "To clean the pans." Before paper towels.
1. Wagner #10 skillet(70s brand new)--that's what mom used, only hers was a Griswold.
2. I'm a user. We have 6 pieces we use regularly at the house. I have 5 pieces at the camp--use them when I'm up there. Have about 15 pieces at my storage that I use infrequently.
3. As a user, never looked for collectibles--"usefulness". Have some nice old pieces. One of our favorites is one made in Taiwan--#8--just right for a good pone of cornbread.
4. Martin Stove & Range #12 pot with lid--destined for the scrap yard, resurrected it. Cleaned up nicely, used it a couple of times. Sold it recently on Ebay. Close to collecting as I'll get, I figure.
5. Mom's #10 Griswold--too many memories.
6. No clue. I'll run across something sometime, always do. Something that is a dream to someone. I'm just lucky in that regard--seem to stumble on things from time to time that are just insane.
7. I joined this site to learn about those things I love--one such is cast iron. I'm here, not to collect valuables, but to learn of those things our ancestors used in the trivial (to some meaningless) activities they did in day to day life. I'm of a historical mindset--not the big stuff--but the day to day little things they did back then.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:21 AM

I was on a mission to find the best way to cook a steak, A friend of a friend suggested getting a cast iron skillet hot on the stove top and searing both sides then transferring in the same skillet to a hot oven to cook until medium. Found a #10 3 notch lodge at a thrift store, looked up my find and started my obsession.

#10 Lodge 3 notch.

I have about 10 pieces I use for different purposes, A Griswold #9 lbl for burgers, Favorite Piqua round griddle for heating tortillas and pancakes, #8 BSR for sauteing, and a Wagner Ware chicken fryer for deep frying, are among my most used. So to answer the question I use them daily and of my 120 or so pieces I have tried at least 75 of them. User and Collector here.

A #7 "Wagner" which I overpaid for at an antique store.

Not sure what is meant by "truly collectible" if any thing pre 1960 qualifies I guess it would be the # 7 "Wagner" mentioned above. But I remember being very happy finding my first Griswold LBL.

5. If you were forced to give up your collection except for one piece, what would that piece be?
I can narrow it down to two, my first series #9 Erie Skillet or my #3 Griswold MBL with the BSA decal.

A Griswold spider logo would be awesome, I collect a lot of #3 just to have examples of different logos so I am also looking of wapak #3 indian and a #3 cliff cornell. probably not the rarest of items but certainly ones I always look for.

7. What do your friends and family think of your obsession?
Mine are very supportive and look for items for me, many of my nicer pieces my dad has picked up at yard sales, but this also means I end up paying for the occasional paper weight out of obligation. Please call me before you buy it!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:52 AM

I have been collecting for about one year. Never thought I would ever have have an interest in cast iron. I really enjoy the transformation from rust and crud to a like new finish.

A 1940-1960 Lodge #3. Cost me $2.00.

Collector, although I use my corn stick pans from time to time.

The Lodge #3, my "experimental" piece.

Although all CI is collectible to me, I guess my first "better" piece was a either a small logo Griswold #10 or a Wagner #8 chicken fryer.

My Lodge single notch hammered #3. Really fine finish, extra smooth cooking surface. A very nice little skillet.

I would love to have any brand name, nickel plated, hammered skillet with the original label still on it.

7. What do your friends and family think of your obsession?
I'm the only one who "gets it."

Last edited by JBPoole; 01-09-2015 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Added #7.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:54 AM

a Lodge skillet I bought from the local hardware store.

hmmm...I collect nice pans to use. about a dozen skillets, a couple DOs and a waffle iron. use them all, some of them daily.

a WWSO - can't remember the size.

found a #6 Good Health Skillet at our local Habitat for Humanity store for $2. figured it was some 70s hippie pan when I looked at the bottom, y'know? it hid in the closet for a while until someone gave me an Erie scotch bowl and I started doing research on CI.

tough question - guess it would be my late 1800's gate-marked unnamed #7 skillet. cost me $7 at a junk shop. that's the one I use everyday.

i sure would like to find one of those Griswold loaf pans, with the cover. the one with the handle coming off the long side - I think its a #877. maybe one of those late 18oo pans that is nicely cast - like those 3 that SteveStephens posted pics of several months back. can't remember the name at the moment.

7. What do friends and family think of your obsession

as long as I keep cooking with them, my family is happy. my friends and colleagues are ok too, since I've helped several of them resurrect their old skillets.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:55 PM

Griswold # 16 muffin pan. Found it in a 13 bedroom home clean out, free.

Both, I started collecting only iron that I would use, that did not last long now a horder.

Griswold # 16 muffin pan.

Griswold # 16 muffin pan.

1800's gate-marked unnamed #7 skillet, single pour spout with fancy handle.

The earlier the better. I have not seen it yet, when I do the chase is over. Will not let that happen.

7. What do friends and family think of your obsession?
If they have a problem with my cast iron hording, they just might have a problem with everything else I collect
Old 01-09-2015, 08:49 PM

I bought a Martha Stewart (MSE) skillet from K-Mart probably 10 years ago. It was terrible. It sat unused, buried in my cabinet for years. Eventually I got it back out for something, and got so frustrated that it started me on the path to vintage iron. I remember as a kid helping my mother and grandmother cook, and how amazing their skillets were. I came to learn that my mother's are WWSO and my grandmother's are Favorite. With that knowledge and google, I ended up here.

Oh, that MSE? It's now the sacrificial anode in my e-tank

First and foremost a user. I don't think of myself so much as a collector. I enjoy the restoration process, and I think more than anything I love to be able to look at a completely caked over piece and have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to find underneath the crud. Being able to pick the one good piece out of the pile of 20 that are selling for $5 each is great.

I told my mother I was hunting for some skillets, and she bought me a Griswold SBL #5 before I could find anything.

Griswold SBL #5

Probably my #9 3rd series ERIE. It is garbage as a collectible because someone ground the heat ring off of it. However, it sits dead flat on my ceramic cooktop, heats evenly, and has a perfect cooking surface. I use it almost every day.

There's nothing really specific that I'd like to have. I don't collect anything in particular. I don't try to build sets. I just know when I run across something nice at a good price, I pick it up, clean it up, and give it a good home.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:39 AM

==================

1.) Lodge 3-notch No. 6. Given to me by my Mother about 2 years ago now. 1/8" thick seasoning inside & out. Mother told me that she got this skillet shortly after her and my Father were married. 1969, and she's cooked in it ever since. Too small for me to use daily as I like a lot of room to move around, but this is one I'll never sell or clean up.

2.) Collector first, user second. BUT. I've spent most of my life eating crappy food. Fast food, frozen dinners, anything I could heat up in a microwave. Bachelor Chow.
Since starting to collect, I've been experimenting and making more meals at home than I ever have in my entire life. The microwave rarely gets used anymore. Cooking is now more fun to me if I can use a 100+ year old pot or piece that most normal people would rather scrap than having to clean up and make it a real user again.
I find a lot of fun in taking my rarest pieces and making a grilled cheese sandwich, browning up some meat & heating up tortillas for tacos, etc.. The more rare the item, the more I want to cook in it. I'll dig out a pan I haven't used in a while just to brown some toast. I can't say that I've cooked in ALL of my pieces, bit in time I'll get to them all.
I won't say that cast iron collecting has lead to me eating healthier, but it has led me to eating tastier food that I'm prouder of because I made it.

3.) Griswold No.8 704 skillet. (Before my fascination with other brands took hold.)

4.) Hmm.... Probably my No. 7 Wagner Ware pie logo skillet. It was probably the first skillet I bought with the thought in my head that "This is different, and it seems rarer than all of the usual stuff I see." For every 300 Griswold pieces I see, I might see one Pie Logo, and usually it's a No. 3. Any other size is harder to find. Waiting to find a 13 or 14 for $20 at a yard sale.

5.) It's far from my most expensive or rare piece, but for day to day usefulness, my No. 10 1270A Wagner round roaster / Drip Drop Lid. It could be used for bacon / eggs / pancakes if need be, but I like to cook chili, stews & beans, I don't think I could do without it. There's just something about a big iron pot that says "Cook something good in me, and share it with your friends." I'm all about cooking big and sharing.

6.) Hmm.. This is a hard one. 1.) Hunter Mfg Co. Sifter pot with lid (C.1875). I've only seen one without a lid, and was fascinated by it. Should have bought it when I had the chance. 2.) ERIE spider logo skillet. While I'm not really a Griswold collector, I'm an amateur entomologist, and the spider logo is cool. Plus the rarity thing. 3.) Perhaps I'm more of a Griswold man than I let on, but No. 3 is another Griswold. The Griswold Up To Time clock. Perhaps one of the rarest of rare Griswold items, plus it would look great in my office. I'm sure all three of these answers will change in the next week when I see something really cool.

Where did this question come from???
7.) What do your friends and family think of your obsession?
A.) Family got me started when I expressed interest. Mother gave me a No. 6 3-notch Lodge skillet first, then a National / Wagner No. 9 1359E skillet (My daily user), and then a No. 8 slant Griswold 834 D.O. with lid. They frequent thrift stores, yard sales, etc. They frequently call me and ask if I'm interested in pieces that they come across. So, very supportive.