Electrolysis Tank - Newbie!

K_Leonard

I set up my first electrolysis tank yesterday evening and it appears to be working but I'm not sure. I'm using a 20 gallon plastic tub, rebar for the anode, and a newly purchased 12V/6V battery charger. It seems to be working okay; the piece is very rusty. I noticed the battery charger would blink green yesterday and today but after unplugging, disconnecting the positive and negative clamps, and pulling the cast iron piece for inspection this evening that once I tried to set it all back up, the battery charger isn't blinking green. Does that mean it's not working? The surface of the bath is very foamy but I'm not seeing active bubbles coming up. I used OxiClean washing soda and specifically looked for sodium carbonate as the main ingredient (not sodium bicarbonate).

If the product you are speaking of is not 100% sodium carbonate, I would ditch it and replace with Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda which is. Since your make and model battery charger is unknown, what the flashing green light means isn't clear. I assume the charger is a manual one?

Thanks for the advice on the soda wash. It isn't 100% sodium carbonate. I'll do a switch out tomorrow. It had a second ingredient that was a peroxide...cannot remember exactly (maybe hydrogen peroxide) and I've already disposed packing and garbage truck came by today.

Should've sent a picture of my charger. Now attached. It's Vector brand. A flashing green light indicates that the unit is 'Operating'. To left is a hazard symbol that indicates if unit has a 'Fault LED Indicator'; I assume flashes or lights up red. But I'm not seeing that nor the green flashing.

Attachments

• Battery charger.jpg
    Battery charger.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 22
Your charger appears to be an automatic trickle charger/maintainer. Automatic chargers see the electrolysis circuit as a charged battery and shut themselves off. The charger used needs to be a manual one or have a manual setting.

Direct links to all website reference topics now appear at the bottom of all forum pages.

Having trouble finding a manual 12/6V battery charger. I've been to Lowes, The Home Depot, Walmart, and an auto parts store and all they have are automatic ones. And if you ask a sales clerk they look at you like they don't know what you're talking about. I'm starting to look on-line and when I think I found what I need, it's out of stock or not really a manual one but an automatic that switches to trickle mode. Really frustrating. I'm anxious to get started on the handful of cast iron pieces I've got in the garage.

Jegs makes them, I believe.

I found a few on Facebook Marketplace, flea markets, estate sales, etc. Don't give up!

Thanks. I may try the 12V battery option tied to tank and use an automatic charger to charge the battery. I read the information on electrolysis on this website and it says that's a an option. Any worries about battery draining and charging not being able to keep charge? That would be an expensive 'trial and error' tactic.

Thanks. I may try the 12V battery option tied to tank and use an automatic charger to charge the battery. I read the information on electrolysis on this website and it says that's a an option. Any worries about battery draining and charging not being able to keep charge? That would be an expensive 'trial and error' tactic.

I wouldn't do it that way myself. I would continue to look for a manual battery charger. I've read and see the battery burn up and cause a huge problem for people. That's just my opinion, though.

Thanks. My immediate work-around is going to be a Duralast 1 amp manual battery charger that my in-laws have. The amps are too low I( believe) but at least it'll provide a continuous charge until I can get my hands on a manual charger with more amp capabilities. I think you need at least 5 amp output. Plus, once I daisy chain 4 pieces of rebar in tank you need enough amp to make it to 4th anode. Right now I'm using just one anode. That's my assumption...need a smarter guy than me to weigh in on that.

I guess they don't make and sell new manual chargers anymore?

I believe Jegs does. I think you need to find a charger with a HOLD button. Ive seen guys buy them at a premium but they are very good, new, and are roll around.

I just found another one today so I may take a ride to pick it up for $100 so I can set up a second tank.

K_Leonard, check Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. There are often old, manual chargers for sale on there for reasonable prices.

I picked up a charger off Amazon back in 2017 for around $28. Has worked great.

And the added benefit has been, with all the COVID stuff going on and not driving much, I've needed to use it to actually charge my car battery!!! LOL!

In addition to the charger, I'd get something with more surface area than rebar. It will get gunked up really fast.

Having trouble finding a manual 12/6V battery charger. I've been to Lowes, The Home Depot, Walmart, and an auto parts store and all they have are automatic ones. And if you ask a sales clerk they look at you like they don't know what you're talking about. I'm starting to look on-line and when I think I found what I need, it's out of stock or not really a manual one but an automatic that switches to trickle mode. Really frustrating. I'm anxious to get started on the handful of cast iron pieces I've got in the garage.

I know this is several months old, but I thought I'd share. Instead of the battery charger, I purchased a DC power supply off of Amazon for less than $60. I set it at 24v & 10 amps and it works like a charm.

I’m going to be setting up my first E-tank this weekend.
A couple of questions:

-Can my pan sit on the bottom of the plastic tub? Or does it need to be suspended?

-the manual charger I have secured produces 1 AMP. Will this work?

Thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/jvvzCPh

Etanks work by line of site. Meaning that only the part of the skillet facing the anode will get cleaned, so sitting it on the bottom would be very ineffective. Also, the closer the anode, the more effective and the larger the surface area of the anode, the more effective. I've never used a 1 amp charger, but my guess is that it would work, but just slowly. Hope that helps.

Back