It's All in How You Word It

CJ Lucas

I visited an on-line auction a few days ago looking for iron. I found a few items that I was interested in so I decided to visit the auction to check them out.

One item was described as "Griswold Cast Iron Muffin Pan". While strolling around, I found a box in a different areas described as "Assorted Cookware". AHA! Hidden inside the box was a Griswold Muffin pan, a cornstick pan, two griddles (aluminum), a cleaver and it all came in a very nice expanded metal file box.

At the end of the auction, the "Griswold Cast Iron Muffin Pan" went for $42.00. The "Assorted Cookware" box went for $6.50 (me!). It's all in how you word it.

most auction houses are notoriously bad at knowing what they have for sale. I kind of count on that.

the selden and griswold waffle iron I bought at auction for $12 (included a wooden stanley level and a wooden kraut cutter)... the only thing the auctioneer noted was that the base was cracked on the waffle iron.

last weekend at the same auction place, they had an assortment of crust, rusty cast iron... most of it asian or later lodge, a couple of marked and unmarked wagners... and that #12 favorite piqua skillet and a big old #12 lodge dutch oven (not the camp oven, no legs.. dutch oven, but no lid)... got them both for $22 each.

At this particular auction, the owner of the merchandise is responsible for stating the description and condition of their items.

Back