Griswold Heart Star #50 Should I Restore It???

WPowell

I just picked this Heart Star up last weekend and now I am not sure if I should have it fully restored or just leave it as is... I only cleaned it with hot water and soap.

Do you think the value go up fully restored and what exactly kind of finish is a fully restored Heart Star? Polished?

What do you think?

Attachments

• LOW2IMG_9590.jpg
    LOW2IMG_9590.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 53
  • LOW2IMG_9592.jpg
    LOW2IMG_9592.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 49
At most, any polishing would have been limited to the top edges of the cups and handle, and perhaps the lobes of the hearts on the sides. The bottom and the insides would have been left as-cast.

Good catch....For sure you don't stumble across these every day.
Assumption is it's aluminum? That being the case it is most likely finished "as cast".
I wouldn't do a lot to it besides maybe taking some #0000 steel wool and try to remove any oxidation that appears rough looking using hot water and Dawn detergent which sounds like you've already done.
That would be a nice catch for any collector.

Thanks for those replies. It is aluminum, thus the reason I am not sure what to do with it. I mainly only collected cast iron.. But knowing the heart star is very hard to find I picked it up... Now the only hard thing is finding pictures of another NO 50 that is restored or even finding another picture of one. Then trying to figure out a value because I can't find any past sales.

I appreciate all the responses.

Back