ID unmarked 2qt pot with lid

Casey Bishop

Hi all, my first post.
This cast iron was among my wifes grandmothers things. Grama was from Oklahoma so I think it came from there and ended up in Arizona.
What can you tell me about this item. Is it a keeper?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 77
A good photo of the bottom side would be good . There are often markings on the bottoms .

It looks like a great piece !

Re-reading your OP I see you were asking for more than just ID.

Date of manufacture should be sometime between 1930 and 1957.

Is it a keeper? Depends. They're not uncommon but less common than the BSR skillets. There are people who want them but it's not particularly valuable. As a display piece or part of a collection, sure, nice keeper.

As a user, CI saucepans don't really have the same advantage as the skillets, the opposite actually. Enthusiasts use them for the sake of using them, but they're actually more limited and difficult to maintain than saucepans made from other materials.

Doggone right it's a keeper! Any piece that has "Grandma" "Ma" "Aunt" "Grandpa" "Dad" etc. connected to it is worth hanging onto. I believe in family and I'm very sentimental. I have a shot glass made of that old glass with a purple tint to it that belonged to my Great Grandfather. I have a kitchen match holder attached to my cabinet that belonged to my Grandfather who had it attached to his cabinet. And I have an old #7 gate marked griddle with the 7 raised on the handle that I stood in a chair and cooked grilled cheese sandwiches as a kid. That one came from the other side of my family.
I realize we all aren't wired the same and sentimental objects mean nothing to some people. That's ok because that's how I'm able to find Granny's skillets at the Goodwill! But my advise is that if anyone winds up with items such as Grandma's skillets etc. If you aren't sentimental please ask around in your family, there is bound to be a Grandchild who will be thrilled to own it. In fact if the Grandkids are young, grease it, tag it and put it in a box in the attic. When they grow up their interest changes. My Brother-in-law regrets letting his Mothers cast iron "get away" from him to this day. She is in her 90's in a nursing home. No telling what a treasure he could have given his Daughter or Grandaughters!

I'm with Russell and Donna on this one! And honestly, folks, there are certain foods for which the heavy CI saucepans would be perfect utensils. Just don't try to steam veggies in it, okay?

Thank you all for your responses. Here's a photo of the bottom. I don't see any marks. You guys are great. Thanks again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 57
Back