Hello from Kemah, Texas

JMoss

I am a new member and this is my first post (to any forum, not just this one). First I want to thank Doug D. for an incredible site. I have learned more from this site in the past week than I have in all the years I have been using CI pots and pans.
I have several pieces that I use regularly but don't consider myself a collector. However, that is changing as I learn more from this site and others. I do not remember ever looking at the bottom of a skillet until about a month ago when I decided to get a new one. I started poking around on the net and really got interested. Thank goodness I found this site. In the past week I have been looking around in antique, resale and junk shops and the information I found here helped me identify and buy the 10" skillet (unmarked Lodge) and its 8" companion, that I had been wanting. In the process I stumbled upon a large Wagner DO and a smaller Griswold DO. They were quite reasonably priced so I bought both of them. Then yesterday I stopper at a yard sale and bought a lid and two more skillets...looks like I'm getting hooked.

I have my first batch in the lye bath and they are looking pretty good. I bought a (manual) Craftsman battery charger today so I can set up the electrolysis tank.

Life's good. This is fun.

Glad to have helped shorten your learning curve. Sounds as if you've found several good pieces in short order. If you have an online photo album to post before and after (or just after) pics, we'd love to see them.

I have spent the past two weeks cleaning up the 20 or so pieces I have picked up recently. I would like to post 'before and after' pics but I am technology challenged. Which which site is most user friendly, Picassa, Flica, Kodak Share, Drop Load, File Share or something else...??

I have found several old pieces I cannot identify (therefore won't buy) and I could sure use some help.

Found a very nice 3 piece Griswold New American #9 waffle iron but have no idea of the value. Any suggestions?

I bought the books Doug D. suggested and it looks like the Wagner DO mentioned in my previous post is from the late 1890's. Th only difference from the description on page 245 of the BB is that the bottom center of mine is marked F L. I assume that means 'flat lid'.

The link to the album works. Give us a heads up when you add more photos to it.

Back