How to remove Griswold coil spring WI handles

JMoss

A few weeks ago I posted some pictures of a Griswold WI that I had bought. You can see it here http://imgur.com/a/PbOJI

I soaked the bolt that holds the coil spring handles using penetrating oil. This morning I was able to loosen the bolts about 1/8 of a turn but then the very end of the coil springs prevented me from turning it any further. Are the coils threaded into the paddles? Do I just need to soak them longer in the penetrating oil? Should I try compressing the coils just enough to clear the bolt head so I can remove the bolts? I am very reluctant to try using pliers to loosen the coils so any advice you experienced WI guys (and girls Bonnie) could give me would be appreciated.

Jack

Jack,
On the WI's I've restored I simply turned the coil counter-clockwise and they have come off with little trouble. Not sure why you want to remove the bolt. The ones I did the bolt was bent a little and I tapped it with a hammer to get it back straight. Putting the coil back on is the hard part and I have had to open the spring a bit and once on take my vice grips and close the spring shut to fit the lip of the bolt.
Good luck....

Thanks Michael but on this model the spring is too small to go over the bolt head.

I seem to have answered my own question. I put a second dose of penetrating oil on the handles and one of them has freed up enough that I could unscrew the bolt. I'll let the other one soak until it too frees up.

Jack

Dang it Bonnie, I asked you to do the restoration when I bought the darned thing. I don't know as much as you about these scary utensils.

Late this afternoon I got both handles out and they are now in the e-tank. You know that my pride is going to make me work on these until they look (almost) as good as yours.

Jack

I am sure they will look wonderful. My daughter doubled our booth space so I have been busy figuring out how to make a display with wooden crates I got at home depot. Our booth came with glass shelves so I have to make my own, cast iron and glass don't mix well. :eek:

Talk to DMFraley. He made the best display case I have seen on this site. Maybe he would trade some design ideas for a piece of the great cast iron you are so good at finding.

Jack

Last edited:
I would have to have a much bigger booth for that kind of display. I love his display and even sent a picture of it to my daughter but we aren't that big YET. :chuckle:

Jack, same as Bonnie stated. No need here to take off your type of handles. Let them swim in the lye. As for the eTank if they have rust on them let them swim all the way in, if not keep the handles out, just the paddles need to go in.

Good Luck.

Back