Seasoning Stripped Pans

BHarmon

Tell me what I'm doing wrong.
I'm seasoning newly cleaned pans.
Stripped Pans, Pre heated 200 Deg, Apply Crisco, Wipe Dry, Heat 300 Deg, Wipe again, Cook 400 -500 deg for an Hour, Let cool in oven, Repeat.
I would repeat this 4 - 6 times
Results would be smooth, even bronze finish
I would cook bacon or sausage on medium heat, get some sticking. When cleaning with warm water and either platic scraper or plastic scrub pad, some seasoning would be rubbed off.
End up with blotchy finish and a lot of wasted time.
Why no Black finish and why am I rubbing off seasoning.
Thanks for your insight

Use fatty ground beef, you should have less sticking at first and more fat to work with. I don't wash with water very often and very easy with SS scrubber. The nice black color you were referring too for me seems to come faster with sautéing on stovetop and using in the oven to bake or cook. It takes a little time but it will get there.

This one I think I had 3 coats of vegetable oil on ( what I had on hand at the time) and it has that bronze look you mentioned and now it coal black. Matter of fact it's in the oven now doing some chicken parts.

Steve

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 39
Are you preheating the pan before putting food on it? Most foods will stick if you put them on a cold pan.

It's been my experience that the more initial coats of seasoning I put on, the more likely I run into trouble with seasoning flaking off early on. 3 coats seems to be my "sweet spot" between being reasonably non-stick vs. flaky seasoning. Pans always start out light and darken with use.

Steven's right about the fatty ground beef as a good starter food. I've also found pancakes to be an excellent thing to cook on a freshly seasoned skillet. At least six 5-inch pancakes, but cook only one pancake on the pan at a time. Do one right after the other. Hit the pan with a quick blast of cooking spray just before the batter goes on. If it's a big skillet (#9 or larger) pick a different spot each time you pour the batter.

I just use the water to soften the food, and only use plastic to do the scraping

Sounds like too much oil added at one time, heated well and now flicking. Clean it well. Then go to this very site and follow the seasoning directions. Cloth towels are key.

This is your start in seasoning for that pan. More cooking means more seasoning. Bacon,corn bread with bacon drippings,non acid based cooking helps to add to the seasoning. Sometimes it takes awhile until the egg slides off like we all want.

That new Crisco with soybean oil has a very high smoking point. You are adding layers before it gets a chance to burn in so it stays soft. The pan needs to get above 500° to burn each layer in which it will do while cooking. Bacon, beef fat and butter have a much lower smoking point and burn in (harden) more easily. If I was using Crisco today I’d bake at 525. Canola oil bakes just fine at 475/500°. The idea is to burn off all the impurities and reduce the oil to mostly carbon. I use lard.

Hilditch

That new Crisco with soybean oil has a very high smoking point. You are adding layers before it gets a chance to burn in so it stays soft. The pan needs to get above 500° to burn each layer in which it will do while cooking. Bacon, beef fat and butter have a much lower smoking point and burn in (harden) more easily. If I was using Crisco today I’d bake at 525. Canola oil bakes just fine at 475/500°. The idea is to burn off all the impurities and reduce the oil to mostly carbon. I use lard.

Hilditch

That's probably why I've been struggling with Crisco. Gotta remember that next time I season something. :bow:

I only put 2 - 3 initial coats on mine using the same procedure. When I cook, I always pre-heat and give the pan a spray of oil or butter before adding food. I've never had an issue.

Hilditch

I usually use crisco at 450 with no ill effects. Always use crisco unless I'm bored and decide to try some new fancy oil, or lard. That being said I only season once and start cooking. I am careful with what I cook at first but after a few cooks its usually good to go.

I can't imagine grandma going thru this whole process.
I assume she greased them up and just used them.
Do you think you get different/better results using fat based vs. plant based oils?
What are the best products to start the cooking process with?
Bacon on a med. electric burner causes some sticking
Thanks, for all the responses

I can't imagine grandma going thru this whole process.
I assume she greased them up and just used them.
Do you think you get different/better results using fat based vs. plant based oils?
What are the best products to start the cooking process with?
Bacon on a med. electric burner causes some sticking
Thanks, for all the responses

When you put the bacon down move it a few times early while its cooking. Then it should slide around. Make sure to always use a pre heated pan. Cook a few pieces, wipe it out and start over.

Back