Goodbye, Tuffy

Doug D.

Administrator
Staff member
The SOS Tuffy nylon mesh scrubber pad has long been in the kitchen and CI cleaning arsenal because of its non-scratch properties. But it tends to become embedded with bits of whatever it's been used to remove, itself then being a pain to clean. I ran across the Scrub Daddy Scratch Free sponge the other day, and it initially caught my eye because I recognized the material as being similar if not identical to the auto detailing bug eraser block I use to safely get the love bugs off the front of my car. I bought one-- and it does indeed appear to be the same-- with the intent of having it as a spare bug block. This evening, after frying bacon and onions in my favorite Lodge 10 SK, and then browning some ground turkey, I started to clean it up with my trusty old Tuffy. But there sat the Scrub Daddy smiling on the edge of the sink, and well... I think I might be done with Tuffy.

these do work pretty good. I think the guy that invented it was on that shark tank thing on the TV. who is a stay at home dad or something. you can get them cheaper elsewhere. I got an 8 pack from Bed Bath and Beyond for $25

The Amazon link is just for illustration. I think a single was ~ $3.50 at Target. In 3 weeks I have decided that Tuffy will indeed meet his maker. I have also realized that Scrub Daddy also makes for some of the cleanest baked potato skins, and is also a perfect replacement for a carrot stripper.

Do you folks ever use the Scotch Brite scrubbing sponges?
MROS3M109_xl.jpg

Cheap as hell and they work, but do they work TOO well?

Edward R
I too use them. They do a good job and as long as you don't get carried away, they do no harm.

Jack

I use the Scotch Brite sponges and sometimes just plain old Scotch Brite pads.

According to what I saw on the Scrub Daddy, you can throw them in the dishwasher. I haven't tried them yet, but the next time the SO goes to BB&B I'll tell her to pick one or two up.

Last edited:
How does the scrub daddy hold food? Can you throw it in the dishwasher to clean?
It's porous, but food particles don't seem to be able to make it any deeper than just the very outer layer. It's also temperature sensitive, so in cold water it stays stiff and in hot it softens.

You guys seem to make it complicated to me. First I scrape my skillet smooth with a spatula. Rinse the food particles out and then hit it with a loofah. Rinse and done. No food particle of any significance to deal with as a quick rinse or wash of the loofah takes care of it. My spatula did the hard work.

Hilditch

Back