Cindy’s Grandmothers Pot

https://imgur.com/gallery/r6IT55s

This belongs to an older friend of mine. She has had it for a while and never did anything with it since it was rusted up when she got it from her mother. She found it in the attic and asked me if I could do anything with it. at some point in its life someone drilled a vent hole in the lid and made a flap to open and close the hole. that was the hardest part of the restoration. they used a screw that they mushroomed out with a hammer to act as a rivet. I was successful at removing that without any damage to the surrounding metal. A trip to the e tank, 3 coats of seasoning, and a new copper rivet later. Its done and delivered to her. I now have a very happy friend. She is very excited and wants to use it, but she has a glass top stove. I think she will finally use the side burner on her grill now and she has a nice pan for her cornbread.

Last edited:
interesting little vent hole and cover... do you think the legs were longer and have been cut down?

I doubt it. They were just long enough to take the gatemark off the cook surface. Someone did a good job if they removed them. I would think if someone was going to go to the trouble to shorten the legs, that they would’ve removed the gatemark as well.

I would expect a pot having a rimmed lid to hold hot coals would also have had legs long enough to place it over a fire.

I would expect a pot having a rimmed lid to hold hot coals would also have had legs long enough to place it over a fire.

That’s a possibility I didn’t think about. I just can’t get why somebody would take the legs down that far and not remove them as well as the gate Mark.

Back