• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Homemade chicken and dumplings

SpurgeonH

Here is the recipe I used for the chicken and dumplings pictures I posted. Keep in mind I substituted Krusteaz Gluten Free Flour, 1 for 1, for the regular flour used in this recipe. I'm also including a link to the YouTube video made by the guy who came up with this recipe.

What you'll need:
2 split chicken breasts (on the bone with skin, about 3 lbs)
8 cups water
2 bay leaves
1-1/2 tsp salt
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
2/3 cup AP flour
1/4 cup cream
1/2 cup frozen peas

In a large pot or dutch oven, add in split chicken breasts, water, salt and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat for 45 minutes. Don't boil too hard or tooo much water will evaporate. Prepare the vegetables and dumplings.

for the dumplings:
1-1/4 cups AP flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup milk

In a glass measuring cup, heat the milk and butter until butter is melted. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add in milk and butter mixture and stir with a fork just until combined. Dough should be soft. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead just a few times to make it come together (no more than 8 times). Roll out to 1/8" thick and cut into 1" strips and then into 3-4" pieces. Cover with a damp towel until ready for them.

Meanwhile, after the chicken has cooked for 45 minutes, remove to a plate and let cool before shredding. Remove bay leaves from the stock. Add in the chopped vegetables and cook for 10 minutes. In a separate small saucepan, melt butter and whisk in flour. Cook over medium heat for 30 seconds, stirring constantly to create a roux. Gradually add in stock until thinned out a bit. Add roux mixture to the stock with the vegetables and whisk until no lumps remain. Add in cream and peas. Bring to a light boil and add in the dumplings, one by one. Stir gently, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until dumplings are tender and done. Take off heat and add back in the shredded chicken. Stir to heat the chicken through and serve. Serves 4-6. Enjoy!!

YouTube link: https://youtu.be/5yVhXu2dk24

Back