• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Popovers

W. Hilditch

Dan, try these. The cool part is the toothpick hole. It lets the steam out as well as air in to prevent collapsing. Besides that, they taste good!

Hilditch

German pancakes are also the same thing. My recipe uses twice as many eggs for more lift. Using eggs for lift instead of yeast or baking powder (or soda) is used in many cultures.

German pancakes are also the same thing. My recipe uses twice as many eggs for more lift. Using eggs for lift instead of yeast or baking powder (or soda) is used in many cultures.
And the pannekoeken is the same as the German pancake, apparently. I love everything made with that eggy, custardy batter!

Made my first ever popovers tonight. They were a tad dry inside, but still delicious. Nice thin crunchy crust, and still moist inside but not quite as soft as I'd like. Not complaining!!

First course, dill crusted salmon (I put the "crusted" side down like a numbskull!) cooked in a #3 Wagner. That is resting on a bed of curly dock with garlic (dock has a tangy, lemony edge to it), with caramelized honey candied carrots with white onions and caraway seeds.

Dessert was another popover, drizzled with dark chocolate sauce and honey:

Dan, tonight I put a teaspoon of au jus in just before the batter. That will give you what you are looking for. Try it.

Hilditch

Dan, tonight I put a teaspoon of au jus in just before the batter. That will give you what you are looking for. Try it.

Hilditch

Actually, you put a teaspoon of jus in just before the batter. Au means "with" :-D

Yeah, but that would be savory, like the Yorkshire pudding (which as I've already said, I love!). No, I think I just overbaked mine a tad. I followed a recipe that was intended for a regular muffin pan, not a pre-heated hunk of cast iron.

Typo; he said. My bad. " I put a teaspoon au jus in just ...." Actually it was a cheatin' concoction of beef bouillon and Kitchen Bouquet as a reverse sear on a prime rib roast keeps all its jus until being cut. Then it runs off the cutting block.

PS: Preheating to hot is not required. Moderate is enough.

Hilditch

Back