Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cooking In Cast Iron

Notices

Cooking In Cast Iron Discuss Cast Iron Cooking & Recipe Requests

Old 11-11-2015, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Real Cooks

Word of warning though, he has a video on youtube about a danger of doing that type of cooking. I haven't seen it but have seen the link.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2015, 01:56 AM

In the South, you might be a cook if you work at the Waffle House. OJT available at 6:00 AM.

Hilditch
Old 11-12-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan D View Post
"Reverse searing" wasn't mentioned per se, but here's the link;

http://www.modemac.com/cgi-bin/wiki....ium_Rare_Steak

It did involve finishing in the oven.
That isn't what I meant by "reverse searing". That is simply preheating the skillet in a hot oven (unless I misread it... I admit to reading it quickly)

Reverse searing is putting the meat in the oven prior to searing. What this does is to bring the internal temperature of the steak nearly to the desired finish temperature. In addition, it dries the surface, allowing for a better crust to form in less time.

Here is one link to the method, although they take their steak to 123F, which I think is too close to the finished temp I prefer: http://www.ruled.me/reverse-seared-ribeye-steak/

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------[/SIZE]

You might be a real cook when you have tried so many methods of cooking a steak to achieve perfection that you actually have formed an opinion about what is the best way.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:09 AM

The best steak I have ever personally cooked was with the reverse sear method. It's a bit high maintenance, but is damn good.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:07 PM

I determined early on that reverse searing two lbs or less of meat would guaranty overcooking it so I rejected it as a TV gimmick.

However, it can work great with a 5 lb. prime rib roast to get consistent doneness out to the crust once you get pull temp right. This is learning how to cook.

Hilditch

You might be a cook if there are no boxes of precooked food in your freezer.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:11 PM

There use to be a restaurant in Pollock Pines in California when I was a kid. The place was called The Sportsman and the house specialty was their version of a steak. It was a massive 4 inch slab of beef that literally hung over the sides of a dinner plate. It was served in courses with the first being Minestrone Soup, then came the platter of spaghetti and meatballs, next was the salad with toppings galore. The finale was the steak with baked potato. Let me tell you that most people who ordered this had their steak served raw in a dogie bag because it was just too much to eat. By the time I turned 18 it was gone but 40 years later I still remember. The best part was that the cook was grilling the steaks in the middle of the place where you could watch him.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:32 PM

When I was in second grade I was given a cookbook for kids (50+ years ago). One day when I got home from school I picked up the telephone and asked for number 52 and the operator connected me to the place my mom worked and she answered the phone. I asked her,"If I wanted to make a triple batch of chocolate chip cookies would I take the amount of all the ingredients times three and then mix it together?" She said "yes." "OK, thanks mom." Then I proceeded with the work of making a triple batch of chocolate chip cookies.

After a while mom started wondering why her eldest son wanted to know about a triple batch of cookies? Then I am certain terror struck! Undoubtedly, she was visualizing, flour strewn all over the kitchen, broken eggs on the floor, broken dishes and then the horror of trying to get a match through the tiny little hole in the floor of the oven after turning on the gas and trying to get the oven lit with a match!

She raced home!

Upon her arrival, she immediately headed for the kitchen and found me getting the third cookie sheet out of the oven and the fourth one going in. I can still see the relief on her face! She calmly told me she didn't mind that I was wanting to bake some cookies, but, Please do it when she was home ... just in case.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:41 PM

Great story!
Old 11-12-2015, 05:45 PM

William J, I suspect you are a cook & second Dan.

Hilditch
Old 11-12-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Hilditch View Post
I determined early on that reverse searing two lbs or less of meat would guaranty overcooking it so I rejected it as a TV gimmick.

However, it can work great with a 5 lb. prime rib roast to get consistent doneness out to the crust once you get pull temp right. This is learning how to cook.

Hilditch
Not at all a gimmick! I've fixed dozens of steaks using that method. Not only not a gimmick, but most of the steaks you get in a restaurant are, while not reverse-seared, still finished in the oven.

I believe this was venison, but still reverse seared:

And a steak (ignore the green cast... fiberglas roof over my deck):

Another steak:

More venison backstrap: