Selling Questions

KFSchmidt

I've started restoring, using, and buying cast iron recently. I prefer buying pieces I can use, but also like the idea of collecting. Turns out cast iron is not easy to store so I'll be looking to sell some items. I've seen others mention it on here and figured they could be of a great deal of help. My basic plan is to restore old pieces to sell that are in a useable condition.

1) Where do you sell? Flea markets or antique stores seem to be good, but the ones I've seen don't market specifically to cast iron users/collectors. They also look like they're mainly pieces that need some work.

2) How do you price? I bought my first piece that I plan to sell today. Between ebay, etsy, and other websites that deal with cast iron (not sure if I can mention them by name here, some boards don't like that) the prices range from $19.99 to $164.00.

Everyone likes pictures, so here it is:
Wagner Ware Sidney -O- 1056. It stuck out because it looks like it could be a 1056A. Judging by the logo, I'm guessing it is a 1935-1959. It has a little rock to it but should still be fine.

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

In my area I have sold a lot of lower end skillets, like Lodge 3 notch and unmarked Wagners on Craigslist for $15 to $25 in restored, seasoned condition. There is a fairly good demand for them, in my town of ~60,000 residents.
The rarer, larger, and more valuable pieces get listed on eBay. I've sold a handful of items on there for between $100 and $230, and that always makes the hobby of collecting cast iron more appealing.
As for your pan, I think $20 would be a reasonable price to ask, but on ebay it may fetch closer to $30.

In my area I have sold a lot of lower end skillets, like Lodge 3 notch and unmarked Wagners on Craigslist for $15 to $25 in restored, seasoned condition. There is a fairly good demand for them, in my town of ~60,000 residents.
The rarer, larger, and more valuable pieces get listed on eBay. I've sold a handful of items on there for between $100 and $230, and that always makes the hobby of collecting cast iron more appealing.
As for your pan, I think $20 would be a reasonable price to ask, but on ebay it may fetch closer to $30.

Thank you for the response. I think $20-30 seems about right. Why the huge range? Do some people just drastically overcharge?

Yes, a lot of people seem to drastically overcharge. Not just online either; I was in a downtown antique shop yesterday and had a look at their cast iron. $45 for a crusty, badly warped Wagner Ware Sidney -O- #8 skillet. $15 would have been a high price if it were cleaned up!

I've noticed many sellers in my area feel that if a piece has a name, it's worth more. If it says Griswold or Wagner, it's worth a Lot more. Even if it's crusty and warped. Many sell unmarked pans for 10-15 bucks that are in great condition.

I've noticed many sellers in my area feel that if a piece has a name, it's worth more. If it says Griswold or Wagner, it's worth a Lot more. Even if it's crusty and warped. Many sell unmarked pans for 10-15 bucks that are in great condition.

Truth! I'm finding more and more people that have a pile of junk in their booths at flea markets and one skillet.. When I inquire, it's $40... I set it back down, and they exclaim it's a ****** or it's a *******!!, Made in USA!!! But it's got a crack, but it has a 1/4" bow in the bottom, etc etc....

Yes, I always pick up and look at the ones that I can see damage on from a mile away.. Part of the education process, looking at handles, model numbers, etc..

Flea market this weekend picked up a BSR corn Bread Skillet, and a Western Importing Co, Munk Pan. While I was making the deal on the BSR, a guy walked up, and asked what the commotion was over the "pot" that the seller sold earlier. Apparently there was an argument over price as the buyer was accusing the seller of spraying the pot with WD-40 to make it look nicer...

I didn't ask what kind of "pot" but I wished I'd have woken up earlier. :(

No rhyme or reason around these parts. Went to a farm auction yesterday, prices were way outside the realm of silly. Large Sidney O skillet, badly warped and rusted went for $120. 20 gallon cast cauldron with large chips and replaced legs went for $250. 1960's Wagner dutch badly rusted for $90. Near choked. Sad part is these dealers will manage to sell it for more than they paid, someone will buy it.

No rhyme or reason around these parts.

Pretty much the same here on the West Side... I've found "Antique" stores that are reasonable, and junk dealers that have VERY high hopes of retiring on the sale of one warped skillet.. People quoting ebay asking prices abound. People never look at the sold prices, and those don't account for the local market prices people are willing to pay.

I can buy common No.8 skillets all day between $8-10. I saw a BSR No.8 skillet Sun. and the guy wanted $20... I had the money and didn't buy it on principle. I rarely see BSR around here. I only have 2 pieces, and would have loved to have paid $10-15 for it, but something about the guy irritated me and I walked.. Same day, 1967 BSR Corn Bread Skillet, $6, and Western Importing munk pan, $5. Both pieces worth way more than a common skillet. I went home happy..

The most common prices here are lodge and bsr,I bout a bsr do #12 for 20 DLLs,same is on eBay they are asking $275,my wife went to a resale shop and I got 2#3,#5 and#10 bsr for $10 all four I haven't seen a Griswold on the wild,

Prices are all over the place here in Michigan. I haven't been buying for very long, but compared to other places I'm reading about I guess they're not too bad. Most I've paid is $12 for a #8 Wardway in an antique shop and last week I got 5 good pieces in one sale at a flea market for $15 and Friday I got a #3 Wagner in great shape at a garage sale for $1.
There seems to be quite a bit of cast iron around here especially at flea markets.

Back