Griswold Identification

KFSchmidt

I've acquired some Griswold skillets that I haven't been able to age. I'm sure someone can give me some help. I don't recognize any of the logos from the Logos page.

1) First skillet I bought. Found it at a yard sale and it was covered in crud. I wasn't sure what it was worth and a lady said it wasn't Griswold or Wagner and likely wasn't worth a lot. I got it for $5 and cleaned it to find it is a Griswold #5. Bottom: No. 5 at 12 o'clock, 1 7/8" logo in center, Erie PA right under logo, 724 at 6 o'clock. There is no letter by the 724. The top just has a 5 by the handle. It looks like it is from 1939-1957 but is there a better way to pinpoint it?

2) A large skillet that appears to not have any marking on the top by the handle. It has a 2 1/2" logo in the center and says "11 1/4 Inch Skillet" right under the logo. Under that it says "Made in USA" and the bottom by the handle has an "A"

3) In cleaning now. I'll get it out in a few days.

Thanks in advance!

The first can be narrowed down a bit more by the handle. At:

http://www.castironcollector.com/trademarks.php

Click on the camera icon by the small block logo description and click on Next (right side of the photo) to see the various handle changes.

The second was made in the Wagner plant in Ohio after the acquisition of Griswold.

1 sounds like a "Small block" logo, and the handle design went through some changes that can help narrow down the age. A picture of the handle would help.
2 sounds like a Wagner-made "Griswold" produced in Ohio after the same corporation bought both Wagner and Griswold and consolidated production. It's not collectible yet, but I'm sure it will cook well.

Darn, Doug beat me to it.

Back