Chef Skillet BSR?

Not currently. BAck is pretty crusty so it is going in the lye bath then wil get a better look at it.

Back is totally clear of any numbers or letters.
That is strange. I was under the impression that all BS&R chef skillets had text. These pictures are from Modemac's website. They are not mine. I don't remember of this is a violation. If this is a violation, please delete. I'm just trying to help.
bsr-chef-skillet-under.jpgbsr-chef-skillet-top.jpgbsr-chef-skillet-bottom.jpg

Chef Skillet came out in the '70s as BSR explored the capabilities of DISA automation. In general I've found BSR markings of that era to be very inconsistent; you may have "marking A", "marking B", "marking A & B", or no marking.

Mine has "Made in USA" across the top backside. it has a relatively crudely ground smooth cooking surface that left grinding swirls but is better than unground. It is fairly light weight, capable of easy tossing instead of turning.

Lodge ended up owning the BSR patterns after BSR folded. They make this Chef Skillet to this day, you can find it at Walmart. The modern Lodge version at Walmart appears the same but is significantly heavier in feel. And has no ground smooth cooking surface.

What you have IDK but hopefully this helps. It's either BSR or Lodge; go check out a modern Lodge model and see if there's any differences in weight and finish.

Worth noting that BSR's demise was not until 1993. Lodge acquired the patent to the Sportsman Grill at that time. No reason to think Lodge made this pan.

BSR's chef and square skillets date back to at least the early to mid-1960s. Being there was only one size made of each, they may have not felt any need to mark them at all before the point they added the Made In USA.

The chef skillet Lodge currently makes has a disc bottom with logo and an assist handle, not at all like this pan. The Lodge website touts its lightness, which should be the case for a chef's skillet. The assist handle, usually seen only on heavier pans, seems a bit silly.

JLenzo, I have a BS&R Chef Skillet. It has Chef Skillet in the top and Made In USA and 9H on the bottom. This skillet looks identical to yours except for the text.

I love using my BS&R chef skillet. Even though it doesn't have a lot of value, it would take quite a bit for me to part with it. I wish they had made one just a little bit bigger as well.

Back