Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 02-09-2018, 10:14 AM

Default A Lil' Help with Idents/Restoring Suggestions?

Hi all,
First time poster, long time casual lurker.

I started playing around with restoring rusty old kitchen knives recently, so when i found some cast iron that peaked my interest for cheap , I bought 'em.

Here's an album: https://imgur.com/a/srWGl

I'm extremely happy about the corn stick pan I found but can't seem to find a matching maker. I'd ask for help with identities of the Griswold and the square skillet but the Griswold probably needs more cleaning first to be able to see all the markings and I'm hoping the pitting on the bottom didn't destroy em. The square skillet, well, that seems a bit more difficult.

The others, I'm not too sure how to go about restoring...
The Griswold I imagine would be fine with lye and electrolysis.
The cornstick pan, perhaps just put in the lye bath with the Griswold or should oven cleaner suffice?
The square skillet I'm not sure what how best to go about restoring it. Certainly is flakey.
The wok... not cast iron, but looking to get it nice and restored as well. Probably fine with some steel wool but if I'm getting the others all fancy looking why not.

Now, with my knives I've been using citric acid to get the rust off the blades and the results have been very nice. Would that be gentler to the Griswold's markings than electrolysis or vinegar? Would that be too gentle for the square pan?

Any and all suggestions and comments are welcome. I'm still wet behind the ears with this hobby, so please, bring on the info!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2018, 10:28 AM

Default Re: A Lil' Help with Idents/Restoring Suggestions?

The corn stick pan you can use lye,a few days a little brush will help inside,and repeat as needed,on the griswold skillet lye won't work too much carbon,you will need use etank,good luck and welcome to the site.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarLopez View Post
The corn stick pan you can use lye,a few days a little brush will help inside,and repeat as needed,on the griswold skillet lye won't work too much carbon,you will need use etank,good luck and welcome to the site.
Hi Edgar, Thanks!

How would you recommend I clean the square skillet?
Old 02-10-2018, 07:49 PM

I don't see the square skillet,I have an etank and every piece goes there,some people don't have room for an etank,and they use lye to remove crud and vinegar to remove rust,power tools aren't recommended for cleaning,you can use a hand wire brush to remove some stubborn spots of carbon.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:06 PM

probably a combination of lye, vinegar and electrolysis (and lots of steel wool) for all of those pans. lye is the best at removing old seasoning (black gunk) unless it is too carbonized... vinegar is good at loosening up heavy rust (like on the square pan)... and electrolysis is good at finishing off pans that have been through the other two processes but still have some gunk/rust to remove.

you'd be surprised how much better they will look by just hitting them with some steel wool before you do anything... a lot of that 'loose' rust will just wipe off and you can see better what you're working with.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarLopez View Post
I don't see the square skillet,I have an etank and every piece goes there,some people don't have room for an etank,and they use lye to remove crud and vinegar to remove rust,power tools aren't recommended for cleaning,you can use a hand wire brush to remove some stubborn spots of carbon.
Ah, it's toward the bottom of the imgur album I linked to in the original message: https://imgur.com/a/srWGl

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Madden View Post
probably a combination of lye, vinegar and electrolysis (and lots of steel wool) for all of those pans. lye is the best at removing old seasoning (black gunk) unless it is too carbonized... vinegar is good at loosening up heavy rust (like on the square pan)... and electrolysis is good at finishing off pans that have been through the other two processes but still have some gunk/rust to remove.

you'd be surprised how much better they will look by just hitting them with some steel wool before you do anything... a lot of that 'loose' rust will just wipe off and you can see better what you're working with.
What's been your experience with using Citric Acid instead of vinegar?
Old 02-11-2018, 08:54 AM

A,

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend this for your consideration and use.

http://www.castironcollector.com/restore.php

FYI. Here are before and after pics of a skillet I cleaned. It may be worse than your Griswold. My skillet spent several days in the lye "spa" and then had a few short sessions in the electrolysis tank. For me, the length of time in the E-tank is dictated by 1) whether I need to leave the house and 2) the weather. If I must leave the house, I usually interrupt the session because I don't want to leave the tank unattended. Also, the tank is outside and the battery charger is uncovered, so when it rains, I can not use it.

https://imgur.com/a/pt3QE
https://imgur.com/a/yPnLq

I am pleased with the cleaning of the skillet. Unfortunately, there is rust pitting on the cooking surface and the bottom of the skillet. Even so, it is usable.

Good luck with your CI.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:30 PM

Wally,
The links don't work

Jack
Old 02-11-2018, 01:52 PM
Site Admin

Can't put emoticons at ends of links without a space separating.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Smith View Post

What's been your experience with using Citric Acid instead of vinegar?
I've never tried citric acid. vinegar is cheap and effective... but you don't really need to do either... steel wool and electrolysis will accomplish the same thing... it just might take a bit longer than using the combination.