Newer Cast Iron Cookware?

John M.

I was gifted a "Ridgeway By KELTY" Dutch Oven recently. There is also a dual purpose griddle. Smooth on one side & ridges on the other.

Neither have ever been used. They are "pre-seasoned" but there are some spots that look like there may be a few rust spots underneath the seasoning.

I'm fairly certain these are imported pieces & I usually try to avoid any type of imported products. The DO is large & has a nice carry bag with shoulder strap.

What are the common thoughts on the usage of modern CI cookware of unknown origin?

Thank you.

Use it! Given how pricey the vintage camp ovens I've seen in the wild are, I'd be scared to take one camping if I had one. If I wasn't able to borrow a camp oven from my kid's Boy Scout troop any time I want, I'd have bought a Lodge at a local big box store a long time ago. If someone gave me a Kelty, Wenzel, or Camp Chef camp oven for free I'd be extremely grateful and wouldn't hesitate to use it.

BTW, Kelty is an American company that sells high end camping gear. So, while the DO was probably made in China, the fact that Kelty put their brand on it says it isn't just another crappy Asian import. They have a reputation to protect after all.

On a side note, unused pre-seasoned Asian iron tends to smoke like crazy the first time it goes in the oven. I suggest scrubbing it with water and a nylon brush followed by a round in the oven. After that's done, give it a round of manual seasoning. If you apply the oil with a paper towel, it'll get chewed up by the coarseness of the iron so I suggest using an old dishrag ready for the trash or cut up t-shirt.

Use it! I have Lodge, BSR, Camp Chef, Wenzel. I am prejudiced towards Lodge and BSR “USA made” but Camp Ovens have to be tough to withstand unintended abuse and all of mine are well made, thick walled, with good fitting lids that don’t wobble. The Wenzel doesn’t have feet so I have to use a trivet. Be sure to get a lid lifter, i’ve Read that people break the lids trying to use pliers. (Especially BSR lids with a tab handle, like mine) I’m a thrift store and flea market junkie, that’s why so many different brands.

Strangely enough, today I was passing by a nearby antique mall so I stopped in and found a reasonably priced bottom half of a 1960's-70's 6 quart camp oven. Finally, a camp oven!

Bonus: My #10 Lodge skillet lid fits it pretty doggone well and has a big enough flat spot on top to hold charcoal.

Back