$5 FB Marketplace Find Has Me Stumped (pics!)

David Luckie

As the title says, I found this pan on Facebook Marketplace for $5. I thought for sure by the pics in the ad that I was getting a deal on what looked like an old BSR, maybe a Red Mountain.

This is how I found it.

20200611_124055.jpg

20200611_124121.jpg

20200611_124127.jpg

Here are a few more pics showing better detail. This is after the first trip through a lye bath and a little scrubbing.

There are no markings on the bottom of the pan, but the bottom of the handle has what appear to be shift identification marks. And the mysterious "8" inset on top of the handle.

The last pic shows the diameter of the pan and was taken after it was fully cleaned and I started seasoning.

I have several more pics and can take more if needed.

I'm already cooking with it--the cooking surface is smooth like BSR but not glassy like Wagner. I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that it's a Red Mountain, or maybe a transition piece of sorts.

20200612_112354.jpg

20200612_112502.jpg

20200612_112457.jpg

20200612_112442.jpg

20200616_193657.jpg

Pretty much all the hallmarks of pre-automationn BSR, the disconnect being the number on the top of the handle. BSR also not known to use shift identifiers.

I just sold a BSR #8 for 20 bucks on the net. Im trying to "thin out my herd"...
I sold it cheap I think.

Thanks!

I plan to keep this one and cook with it. I made Rueben sammidges with it last night and its thinner cooking surface is better for quick heating than my modern Lodge pan.

Is there a database somewhere containing dimensions of various brands' pieces through the years? The 9-3/4" diameter has to match something.

There maybe a chart on here if you look hard enough. Not sure tho. I checked My Wapak #7....its close but no cigar....gotta be that or a #8.

There are diameters of Wagner skillets from a catalog on a page here, but only to illustrate how size numbers have nothing to do with actual dimensions, and that dimensions were not standardized. Weights and measures are of little to no use in manufacturer ID.

Back