#8 "X" N24 10" Unknown Cast Iron Skillet

James Jackson

Hi,
I am new here and want to thank you all for your work.
I have had this skillet for about 4 years, my dog used to eat out of it. I finally got around to cleaning it up, and this is what I have.
No name, just a large "8" on top of the handle, a large "X" on the bottom close to the handle, and "N24" on the bottom.
Any assistance identifying this skillet is more than welcome, as I can't find any data on it.
Thank you all again.

Attachments

• 8 X N24 Skillet Top.jpg
    8 X N24 Skillet Top.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 8 X N24 Skillet Bottom.jpg
    8 X N24 Skillet Bottom.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 207
The first thing that usually comes to mind on pieces with the raised size number on the top of the handle is Lodge. A raised molder's mark on the bottom is also usually seen on older Lodges. The puzzle here is that it has other characteristics consistent with Lodge, but not in the right timeframe. The large molder's mark is somewhat like the possible Blacklocks, but those supposedly did not have inset heat rings. Later, "no-notch" heat ring Lodges have inset heat rings, but not that handle design, nor the distinct handle reinforcement pad, both of which are typically seen on other earlier, late 19th or turn-of-the-century skillets. The pour spouts also seem small relative to what one would expect for a skillet of the age this one appears to be.

Doug,
Thanks for the reply.
More history on this skillet: I purchased a 30-acre homesite that had previously belonged to a family that went back to 1560 or so. They eventually split up the property and sold some, including this 30-acre lot with a huge hunting lodge, which prior to myself belonged to a local wealthy person, who is now passed-on. The skillet had been on the property for 6-7 years that I figure, it was just laying around acquiring rust, and the previous owners fed their dog in this skillet. When I sold the place, I took the skillet with me, and just restored it myself 2 weeks ago.
But, the skillet could have been there for many years as many, many hunters killed, skinned, and cooked lots of wild game on the grounds, and probably in this same skillet.

The "N24" stamped on the bottom is not evenly stamped, but that's all I can make of it.

On the heat ring itself, by the handle there are to slits or gaps, and on the opposite end, there is one slit or gap (shown in pictures included).

It's a fine skillet with no cracks, etc. I use it everyday now, along with other 8", 10", 12" cast iron skillets, and a Lodge cast iron griddle.
Any further information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.

other photo

Attachments

• 003 X N24 HeatRing Gap1.jpg
    003 X N24 HeatRing Gap1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 003 x N24 HeatRing Gap2.jpg
    003 x N24 HeatRing Gap2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 61
From memory I have or had a skillet similar to yours with the rounded bottom, small lips, and handle reinforcing pad. I have no idea of the maker; it was different enough that I bought it. Can't recall if it had a bottom gate or not.

Doug,
The pour spouts are 1" wide (rather small compared to all of my other cast iron skillets), beginning from where the spouts begin.
Thanks again for your assistance.

Identifying marks:
1. Large "8" on top of handle (Lodge).
2. Large molder's mark "X" (Blacklock).
3. Series 3 inset S/R (Heat Ring) with 3 notches (2 by handle and one at 12o'clock) (Blacklock or Lodge).
4. Series 2 Handle design (Blacklock).
5. Handle reinforcement pad Series 2 Handle (Blacklock).
6. Small pour spouts 1" wide from farthest point, where it starts to deviate or go outwards (Blacklock).

So, I am still unsure about this skillet, but it seems as you suggested that it's probably one of the earliest Blacklock Lodges (from 1900-1910).

Attachments

• 8 X N24 Skillet Pour Spouts.jpg
    8 X N24 Skillet Pour Spouts.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 64
From memory I have or had a skillet similar to yours with the rounded bottom, small lips, and handle reinforcing pad. I have no idea of the maker; it was different enough that I bought it. Can't recall if it had a bottom gate or not.

Steve,
Yes, it's a nice heavy skillet. Just the right size for a 2-person meal. I like it better than the heavier 12" Lodges.
It cleaned up well after much scrubbing and a sanding sponge (60-coarse) and a knife to chip off the old fat residue.
It's top-quality for sure and will be around for many more centuries.

it seems as you suggested that it's probably one of the earliest Blacklock Lodges (from 1900-1910).
No, what I was saying was that, even though it has *some* characteristics like the possible Blacklocks, the inset heat ring and small pour spouts would rule that out. Not sure what you mean by "Series 2" and "Series 3", which are not terms usually seen applied to Lodge skillets.

I also think the "N 24" might actually be "No 24" (with a superscript O). Also, notches in Lodge heat rings are either a single at 12 o'clock or three at 9/12/3 o'clock.

That is one awesome skillet John.

Now pardon me for crashing your thread, but I have what I believe to be a #7 Lodge, 1900-1910, Steve or Doug could probably tell. I too am baffled by yours by the way, but once again it is an awesome specimen.

Last edited:
Here's additional photos showing 2 notches and 2 dots on the bottom of the handle.

Attachments

• Handle Bottom 2 Dots.jpg
    Handle Bottom 2 Dots.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Bottom 4 (600 x 411).jpg
    Bottom 4 (600 x 411).jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 82
Not sure, Doug would know better but the notches look like they are from where the skillet was nested inside another skillet. I have a couple skillets that are quite worn in that area.

Here is the link to the "Blacklock Skillets pdf file, where it shows photos and some specs for their skillets.
http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/yabbfiles/Attachments/Blacklock_Skillets_001.pdf

It looks like the Series 2, and has some aspects of the Series 3, go figure.
Although I don't see any there with inset heat rings and handle reinforcement pads.

My experience to date has been that the skillets attributed to Blacklock were of the outside heat ring design. I do wonder if the author isn't causing some confusion by continually referring throughout the article to what I think most collectors would simply call "Lodge" as "Blacklock/Lodge". I also wonder if there isn't also a tendency on the part of some collectors to try to classify any otherwise unmarked skillet with a raised size number on the top of the handle and raised molder's marks on the bottom as having Lodge parentage.

Having said that, James, your skillet is still pretty interesting, no matter who made it.

Doug,
More history on the property where I found this skillet.
This property was a huge tract of land, belong to a family before the land patents were created by the U.S. government (1832). Jefferson Davis (the Father of the Confederacy) had a brother, Joe Davis. Land records show J. Davis, who previously resided in Natchez, as one of the "owners" of this property. This family rented him quite a few acres of this land to farm, a part of the 30-acre tract we owned. We had an archaeologist (?) friend out who was quite familiar with this area's history and he found many broken pottery pieces and sites on the property which related to a "plantation" type setup. He affirmed that Jefferson Davis' brother Joe Davis did actually live on this property. The first skirmish of Raymond was fought on the corner of this very property, and many artifacts have been recovered here.
So, I don't know how old this skillet is, and will never know for sure, but I do believe it has some history, however large or small, and this is totally irrelevant to me. It's just nice to be able to refurbish an old vessel and to be able to use it daily.
Many thanks for your insights.

Back