New mystery skillet!

John E

$10 flea market find. Seems to be a #7, it fits nicely inside of my #8 Iron Mountain.

No reinforced lip, inset heat ring with no visible breaks. I would say there's a blended reinforced handle pad.

Guesses?

I should clarify that the lip is not distinctly reinforced. It may or may not be reinforced and blended. It's in the lye and I'm not going to go dig it out to check.

Hrm. I'm stumped.

I pulled it out of the lye to check on things. There is an incised 8 on the top of the handle. The bottom is about 90% clean, and there's not a single mark anywhere visible.

Who made unmarked pieces with inset heat rings and no bottom markings whatsoever?

That handle bottom is very Martin-like. If they made unmarked pieces, I have not seen documentation of such.

Still stumped. I need a Steve Stephens "bat signal" :D

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

(I couldn't resist)

I posted one like his recently (here and on some FB pages) and can't get a consensus on the make. I've heard BSR, NOT BSR, Wagner/NOT Wagner. Recently I was told it is an "unmarked" Martin which seems and looks right, but I've had so many answers I still don't know.

It's pretty darn close. They both seem to have the handle bent slightly to the left when viewed from the bottom as well. Maybe from the same pattern, but with the 8 modified at some point.

Also, we're both in NC. Maybe it's from some long forgotten foundry either in the state or nearby.

The foundry page lists:
Eagle Foundry - Greensboro NC
G.T. Glascock & Son(s) - Greensboro NC

I found this page someone put together on the Glascock foundry. It lists skillets in sizes 8-10.

http://www.glascockstoves.com/Products.html

Maybe they copied or used a Martin skillet for their pattern.

Also another interesting note is that page lists an additional foundry:

Victor Stove Works in High Point NC.

But the CIC foundry database does not have a city/state for the Victor foundry. Maybe I just stumbled upon it.

Here's the final result. I am almost certain someone used a Martin as a pattern for this. The bottom inside of the heat ring is almost flush with the heat ring, as if a filler was applied to cover over the original markings. Also it seems a bit small for a #8; the third picture is this skillet nestled inside of my #8 Iron Mountain. The cooking surface is in good shape and it sits flat, so for $10 not a bad user.

Also, we're both in NC. Maybe it's from some long forgotten foundry either in the state or nearby.

The foundry page lists:
Eagle Foundry - Greensboro NC
G.T. Glascock & Son(s) - Greensboro NC

I found this page someone put together on the Glascock foundry. It lists skillets in sizes 8-10.

http://www.glascockstoves.com/Products.html

Maybe they copied or used a Martin skillet for their pattern.

Also another interesting note is that page lists an additional foundry:

Victor Stove Works in High Point NC.

But the CIC foundry database does not have a city/state for the Victor foundry. Maybe I just stumbled upon it.

John - Hi,
The someone that put the Glascock website together is me, I'm the great great grandson of the founder and have been collecting for over 35 years, plus have a lot of the old records dating back to the 1890s. Giles T. Glascock founded the company in the early 1870s, the company would continue to make cast iron products until the mid 1960s. Both Eagle & Victor were companies Glascock purchased, Not a lot is known about Victor in High Point, except that Glascock purchased what was left of them after they went out of business in mid 1920s. The Victor name was used by a couple of foundries, mainly Victor Stove Foundry in Salem Ohio. Glascock would use the Victor name on several of their Ranges until the mid 1960s. Eagle was a small foundry in Greensboro that made various cast iron products, they were taken over by some Bankers in Greensboro, name changed, then later sold to Glascock in 1901. Glascock would continue to make there hollow-ware & English style kettles for years, still using the Eagle patterns, which I always thought was odd, but it was cheaper to just keep using a pattern than to have new ones made. As for these Skillets that you all were discussing with this old topic. I don't know the actual where about's of where the design came from for the 3 sizes of Skillets Glascock made. I know they had there own pattern makers on staff, plus worked with a couple of Pattern companies up north, during different periods. I actually have the original pattern for the #8 & #9 Skillets & #10 Dutch Oven in my collection. (see photo of #9 hanging on wall

As you can see I can run on & on about Glascock products, anyone can contact me anytime about anything Glascock.

Nollie
www.glascockstoves.com

Attachments

• G-FryingPan-#9Pattern-.jpg
    G-FryingPan-#9Pattern-.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 59
Back