Thinning the herd

Bonnie Scott

I have given a lot of thought to selling some of my CI. I have 3 Wagner Sidney O pans and 3 Griswold small logo. Using the search tool on this site I have determined neither to be of a really high value. From a collectors standpoint I am wondering which ones would be a best bet to get rid of and which ones to keep???? I am slightly more fond of cooking in my small logo Griswold but prefer my unmarked skillets most of all.

Without seeing them all to assess condition and value, about all I can recommend, if you must (gasp) get rid of some cast iron, is to let go the ones that you can more easily replace, should you decide you want ones like them again.

I suppose it all boils down to where you are with Cast Iron. Some are hard core collectors who love looking at and showing off their CI. Some are just in love with cooking with some pieces. I'm more of the 2nd category. Most of the people around me are not impressed with CI. They cook with it, and that's about it. When I go, I doubt any of my children or grandchildren will want it or want to care for it properly. Therefore, I'm not locked into keeping any of mine, except a couple of good cookers and a couple of sentimental value. You just need to figure out what you want to do. If you are looking at it from a financial angle, as in investment, the market has always been freaky.

Thank you for your reply's and thank you Glen for your service to our country. I have worked for the VA for ten years and my mom served in the WAC's during the Korean war. I think my reason for wanting to thin the herd is really just the weight of the stack. I have a couple of made in Korea pans I can't decide whether I should donate or just take to the scrapyard. I also believed that my children would have no use for the better pans but it seems lately the "vintage" craze it becoming popular. Kids tend to change their minds quite often so there is always the chance when it's time for you to give up the ghost your kids or grandkids might actually treasure your CI. I know if I had a piece of my Grandparents CI I would treasure it.

Back