Lye ratio

GTurner

With the cold weather, I was wondering if having a higher lye to water ratio, say 4 gal to 1 pound, would help in cleaning when it's colder? Will it cause any issues on the cast iron?

I know it will cause a lot more irritation if it gets in the skin.

Quick Answer, NO.

I run a 45 gallon separate lye tank with more lye in it than you would need, but only in the warmer weather until late fall then dump it. Past history was it would turn into a block of ice in the winter. If your tank did not split from the ice then you could use it after the ice melted. Also lye works better when it is warm, it still works but slower when cold for myself, but that might have something to do with the amount of lye in my tank.

No issues with uncoated / raw cast iron. I have left pieces in for 2 weeks before.

My tank won't freeze, but it sits on the floor near the front door in my apartment, ie cold air. I'm about to clean the tank and was just wondering if I had a higher lye content would it work better.

Jeffrey R., instead of dumping your tank each fall have you ever considered heating it so you can use it year round. A bucket heater plugged into a timer has kept my 30 gal tank usable all winter.

My tank won't freeze, but it sits on the floor near the front door in my apartment, ie cold air. I'm about to clean the tank and was just wondering if I had a higher lye content would it work better.

I did not see where you are from, so no deep winter for you. My set up is out in the barn. Did I say COLD.
Cold air will slow it down, adding more lye in my experience will help, but not a by much. You are on your own, caution as you know.
Good luck.:icon_thumbsup:

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Jeffrey R., instead of dumping your tank each fall have you ever considered heating it so you can use it year round. A bucket heater plugged into a timer has kept my 30 gal tank usable all winter.

Because come winter my Lye tank is tooooo stinky and thick. Time for a good cleaning.:eek: It still works, just stinky. Not sure where yo live but up here -23 does happen, so deep freeze is my issue.

In the spring I will set up my new lye tank and dump my eTank and start with 2 clean tanks. I like to keep my eTank as clean as I possibly can as I clean a lot of other items other than just CI. My lye tank can get as dirty as it wants as it will be dumped come next winter. By the way my eTank is run with lye for the electrolyte year round. I purchase lye bulk, lye is the elbow grease that saves my elbows. So I just crank up the amps to make more heat in the winter as it is running 24 / 7. I am also looking to set up another eTank so I will have 2 running.

I did not see where you are from, so no deep winter for you. My set up is out in the barn. Did I say COLD.
Cold air will slow it down, adding more lye in my experience will help, but not a by much. You are on your own, caution as you know.
Good luck.:icon_thumbsup:

Because come winter my Lye tank is tooooo stinky and thick. Time for a good cleaning.:eek: It still works, just stinky. Not sure where yo live but up here -23 does happen, so deep freeze is my issue.

I'm in Georgia so no freezing weather normally. I'm familiar with cold, Ohio on the lake, but not -23, bbbrrr.

Like I said, it's inside but next to the door. I might try it a little stronger though. I always take precautions with the lye, and will take more with it stronger. Thanks.

I tend to think the cold will slow down the chemical reaction, double strength or not.

Back