"ERIE" Griddle #8

Christian F.

I have an old "ERIE" griddle #8. It sat for a week in a lye bath and these pictures are after 12 hours in an E tank. Steel wool is getting typical great results, lots of black coming off. But my question is about the gray that is coming through on the sides. I am new to this so I don't want to hurt this pan. Do I keep scrubbing until the whole pan is that color gray?

Attachments

• Griddle.jpg
    Griddle.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Griddle(1).jpg
    Griddle(1).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 55
Clean bare iron is gray, not black. There is a possibility yours was originally plated, and the areas you see are the remnants of it. Can't say for sure by these photos.

Thanks Doug. I thought it might have been plated as well. But didnt know if they did that. The pan is smooth as glass, so I am not sure if more E tank will do anything or not. What would you suggest? With others pans I scrubbed until there was no more black coming off, then seasoned. Same here?

Some of that last black staining can be reduced by scrubbing with steel wool and vinegar. Don't kill yourself trying to get it all, it will blend in with the seasoning darkening over time.

Back