1925 - 1959 (?) Wagner Ware

Pat_A

I am going to start using this one --Wagner Ware Sidney -O- 9 c <-- not sure what the "c" means but the size is between a #8 and #10 and this one is much lighter than my 1980s Lodge #8 --Am I safe to assume, with cast iron lighter most generally = older (more time and attention paid in getting the perfect finish, ergo, more grinding, sanding, buffing = a lighter pan)?

I'm in the process of seasoning this one for use but the logo resembles the one (red circle) from the chart below. Does anyone know what book that chart is from (I would like to buy a copy) ?

servoh.jpg

14mc7kz.jpg

Grinding, sanding, and buffing don't produce a lighter pan. A thin, finely made pattern, individually produced sand molds, and hand poured iron do.

The book is incorrect in that the stylized logo was in use before 1925. Your pan's lack of a catalog number means it was produced before 1924.

Pat from what I've seen and used with cast iron. The older ones seem to always show top quality, back when manufacturers and workers strived to do a quality job and product. Unfortunately times change and profits out weigh quality in the disposable world of now.

Some of the others here that follow Wagner should be able too help you narrow down a closer timeline possibly.

I'm one of those if its older then dirt, works well and runs like a top, why buy new. Some of the best tools in the garage are older than me:)

Grinding, sanding, and buffing don't produce a lighter pan. A thin, finely made pattern, individually produced sand molds, and hand poured iron do.

I would still posit the finishing job was more thorough back "in the day"and since that removes (and refines) the product it still assists in making a light weight pan even lighter.

The book is incorrect in that the stylized logo was in use before 1925. Your pan's lack of a catalog number means it was produced before 1924.

Cool ! I really like the feel of this pan, can't wait to finish seasoning it and start cooking in it.

Which book would you suggest as the "go to" reference for CI collecting ?

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

Pat from what I've seen and used with cast iron. The older ones seem to always show top quality, back when manufacturers and workers strived to do a quality job and product. Unfortunately times change and profits out weigh quality in the disposable world of now.
Yeah, that's really sad people no longer (or more accurately are not allowed to) take pride in their work, these days.

I'm one of those if its older then dirt, works well and runs like a top, why buy new. Some of the best tools in the garage are older than me:)

You're preaching to the choir on that point !

Last edited:
The polish grinding process used to produce a smooth cooking surface probably didn't reduce the as-cast weight by more than a few grams. The heft and lack of finishing on more recent pans is more a reflection of the movement to automated casting and cost-cutting necessary to survive in a world that devalues and is unwilling to pay for the quality of craftsmanship, not a lack of pride on the part of the maker.

Most books currently available on CI collecting are woefully outdated. The most recent printing of the "blue book" was in 2010, and wasn't much of a revision over its previous editions. Ten year-old values were not even updated to reflect then-current pricing. It does, however, still have value as a resource. You can see it and the "red book" at the Shopping link in the nav bar above.

You can see it and the "red book" at the Shopping link in the nav bar above.
Thanks, Doug D. The link does not appear to be working --I don't see any titles, only a message about using Amazon, but no books to select from (probably user error as it is 1:00 AM here).

Pat....The photo of the page with the Wagner was one that I referred to a CIC member that was looking for some logos that they were trying to copy for their use to label some CI pieces.
If you noticed there were several hand notes and hand drawn circles with notes to them as the book either did not cover the dates that applied or didn't agree to our CIC resources "Trademarks and Logos" section.

Doug is correct and that information is in the Cast Iron Collectors section at this link; http://www.castironcollector.com/trademarks.php#
If you use the nav bars above and click on "Shopping" you will be able to view all of those items that offer books among a host of other things.

Pat....The photo of the page with the Wagner was one that I referred to a CIC member that was looking for some logos that they were trying to copy for their use to label some CI pieces.
If you noticed there were several hand notes and hand drawn circles with notes to them as the book either did not cover the dates that applied or didn't agree to our CIC resources "Trademarks and Logos" section.

Thanks MDFraley, which book is that logo page from, the "red" or the "blue" book ?

Doug is correct and that information is in the Cast Iron Collectors section at this link; http://www.castironcollector.com/trademarks.php#

According to the link (Thanks again !) , my skillet is a Wagner Ware Sidney -O- Stylized Logo, High (1922-1924, heat ring & size no.) --This narrows my piece down to a 3 year date range (which is great). The mark on the bottom opposite the Stylized Logo is 9 c I would still like to know what the "c" next to 9 (size) denotes (mold number?).

k3b1nl.jpg

Go to the same link I posted and click on Numbers and Letters in the sub titles and it will explain what those mean. It's better for you to read this than explaining in this post.
I suggest that you take time to read all of those titles and sub-titles to get a better understanding of pieces you may encounter while out looking. I know it seems easier to just ask a question and have someone answer it but you truly will have a better understand once you read them.
The book is listed in our shopping section. It's a small paperback and reads: Collectors Guide To Wagner Ware and other companies. I bought it to carry with me while out looking. It's light weight, has additional pieces of collectable CI and you can write in it what ever you feel like without worrying about resale value because there is none.
Good luck with you hunt.

Good luck with your hunt.

Thanks. The skillet is all seasoned and ready to go (a few splotchy areas, but close enough for my needs). There are a few blemishes (circled in blue), I can live with them ("character", right ?) and I'm sure they will not affect the cooking one iota --I've a pound of thick cut bacon ready to go, will probably break the skillet in on Saturday morning.

qqzux4.jpg

Back