Piqua

EMyers

Hello everyone, My name is Eric. I really just got started into cast iron. I'm more of a pottery and silver person. I acquired a lid at auction the other night and I really know nothing about it. It has a mark of 8 1/2 A on it. I've searched but can only find B and C. What's up w/ the A?

Is there a value or age to these lids? Hope I didn't get hurt w/ this purchase. It really does need cleaned up though. Has a 1 1/4" crack in it and probably should be sandblasted. I bought it and a Wagner fat free fryer 11 3/8 together for $6.

Since the interest here is in preserving collectible value, sandblasting is not an approved method. The crack, however, detracts from that value, so...

Favorite Piqua existed 1916-1934.

I bought it and a Wagner fat free fryer 11 3/8 together for $6.

The Wagner "Fat Free Fryer" is a more modern piece. Much different than their earlier fat free fryer. The one you have should be marked 1891 etc... Made late 1980's - 90's.. It's a grill pan. The earlier fat free fryer kinda looked like a regular skillet with a moat around the outside edge that collected the grease/fat of whatever you were cooking.

The cracked lid, meh... The fat free fryer, $10-15.. The grill pan will be a great cooker though if you want to use it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, it's just not really collectible. (yet)

Back