• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Pan fried fish with pecan butter

DougH

We made this for dinner last night, and it came out really well. The butter/pecan sauce was delicious. We subbed catfish because that's what we could find, and left out the hot sauce for personal preference. But it was pretty easy, and quite good.

http://imgur.com/XLTUYp1

(recipe credit from "The New Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook" http://www.amazon.com/The-Cast-Iron-Skillet-Cookbook/dp/1454907746)

Also, I forgot to take a picture of the fish...cause, well, I'm an idiot :oops:

There are many opinions about cooking fish in CI, so I used my modern lodge for this one. That way, if it ruined the skillet or seasoning, at least it's on a piece I know I can replace easily.

Postings to this subforum should always include the actual recipe text, in case the photo or a link goes away.

I do fish in my CI all the time. It can in some cases leave an odor, which is easily dispersed with a swish of hot water with a couple drops of Dawn.

Sure thing, here's the recipe text (OCR is a wonderful thing, hopefully I found all the errors), and thanks for the tip on cooking and cleaning up after fish.

Pan-Fried Fish With Pecan Butter
SERVES 6 ACTIVE TIME: 20 MINUTES START TO FINISH: 1 HOUR

Fish fries are a tradition throughout the southern states and well into the upper reaches of Wisconsin. If you're lucky enough, you might find a super crunchy thick coating like this one, made with a combination of cornmeal and chopped pecans. There's even a simple lemon sauce with more pecans.

It is important to refrigerate coated foods before frying them to allow time for the coating to adhere. Here, the brief chilling time bonds the flour, egg, and breading so the crumbs are less likely to fall off when the food is fried.

Note: The fish can he prepared for frying up to 1 day in advance. Refrigerate the fillets on a platter with sheets of plastic wrap separating the layers, and then cover the platter tightly with plastic wrap.

Variation: Substitute walnuts or black walnuts for the pecans.

6 (6- to 8-ounce) thin white-fleshed fish fillets, such as flounder or sole
3 cups coarsely chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Salt and ground black pepper
4 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into thin slices
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup chopped fresh parsley

PREHEAT the oven to 150°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.

RINSE the fish and pat dry with paper towels. Place 1 1/2 cups of the pecans in a food processor and pulse until very finely chopped.

COMBINE the chopped nuts, cornmeal, flour, and salt and pepper to taste in a shallow bowl and mix well. Combine the milk, eggs, and red pepper sauce in another shallow bowl and whisk well.

DIP the fillets, one at a time, into the milk mixture, and then into the pecans, coating evenly, and transfer to a rack set over a baking sheet. Refrigerate, loosely covered with plastic, for 30 minutes.

HEAT a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and coat the pan evenly. Add as many fillets as will fit in the skillet. Cook the fish for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side, or until browned, turning the fillets gently with a slotted spatula. Transfer the fillets with the slotted spatula to the prepared baking sheet and pat with paper towels. Keep warm in the oven while frying the remaining fish.

POUR the oil out of the skillet and wipe it clean with paper towels. Return the skillet to the stove and heat it over medium heat. Add the butter and remaining pecans and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, or until browned. Add the lemon juice and parsley and cook for 1 minute. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.

TO SERVE, spoon the sauce across the center of each fillet.

Back