Cracked Pan

Clay S

I have recently got into cast iron skillets and have refinished several skillets of my grandmother and my wife's grandmother. A guy give me a griswold no7 skillet with a crack on the bottom. Can I cook on this or should I refinish and just use for display. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without any pictures I wouldn't be able to say but generally, I avoid cooking if the crack in any way compromises the structural integrity of the pan or has the potential to leak any of the contents of the pan. In some cases I'll use a cracked piece if its for something that won't spill and make a huge hot mess or cause a grease fire if the pan breaks. For example, I have a 19th century scotch bowl with a simple but rather long, straight crack in it that I use to make bread. I'll never, ever trust it enough for fondue or soup though.

im with Ty on the no leak food items.
grilled cheese
french toast
cubanos

What Griswold? Is it a slant or LBL EPU if so, and its display worthy, IMO I would display it. They display very well

If its already cracked, I don't see much of a reason to use it, especially if you have others.

If your not going to use, here is a idea. I picked this one up a while back. This one is not cracked, and my first thought was to strip it of its artwork and turn it to a user, but a year later the art has somehow managed to survive, and the country themed goose skillet has grown on me, its still hanging up on the wall.

inhc29.jpg

I see why you decided to keep it as is. I kinda like good ol American folk art. The work looks well done and warm and appealing to the eye. I nice addition to the decor of a kitchen. In time those may well become collector items as well.

Steve.

Back