Dutch Oven

...has some White paint drippings on it. Wonder if it would be safe to use the self-cleaning oven method to remove the pain and rust.

Attachments

• dutch oven 2.jpg
    dutch oven 2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 42
The self cleaning oven will indeed burn off the paint. The burning paint will also release toxic fumes into the air. Not good.

The self cleaning oven method will do absolutely nothing to get rid of rust.

Your best bet is to go with a lye based method. Either a lye tank, or if you only rarely clean gunked up cast iron, go with the oven cleaner/plastic bag method for removing paint and grease.

For the rust, you would be best served by using a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water, and soaking the rust for increments of 30 minutes and then scrubbing. Repeat until the rust is removed.

The self cleaning oven method will do absolutely nothing to get rid of rust.

This confuses me, as I've read here that it will, indeed, get rid of the rust. In fact, I've used this method to success twice so far in my limited learning time here.

Why would you say this?

Can others comment?

RL is correct. The self cleaning oven method will do absolutely nothing to get rid of rust, but it may crack the CI.

Hilditch

I would soak that pot for a short time in vinegar and water and then just scrub the heck out of it with a choreboy and a handheld wire brush. The paint is most likely water base and will come off easily after a short soak.

Thanks for the comments, guys, I do appreciate it.

I'm heading out to get some vinegar and scrubbers to try and remove the paint. Not sure what I will do to get off all the rust, and get down to bare cast iron, as I don't have access to electrolysis, and using Lye sounds like a pain in the butt, time-wise, to me. And leaving trash bags unattended in the back yard doesn't appeal to me with all the critters (human-kind as well as others) running around.

OK, being the stubborn, heard-headed lunatic I am, after getting most of the paint off with vinegar soak, scouring and scraping, I put this pan, and its lid in the oven on self-clean - I know, I know!! It's STILL rusted :coffee:

It also still has a lot of paint spots where I THOUGHT I had removed all. So, how should I get this paint off. I was able to get the paint off the outside sides, but the inside still has White paint spots.

I really don't want to use any paint stripping chemicals in it. What can I use.

Please bear with my ignorance, guys, I'm now a believer in your wisdom. :bow:

"Please bear with my ignorance, guys, I'm now a believer in your wisdom."

What was it Will Rodgers said about "Some people learn by reading, some by listening and the rest of us have to pi** on the electric fence." :0

Lye bath will do the trick.

Jack

What was it Will Rodgers said about "Some people learn by reading, some by listening and the rest of us have to pi** on the electric fence." :0

Jack

That fits me to a "T"

Jack

Where is the "Like" button? :chuckle:

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Has anybody mentioned soaking it in a bucket of lye?

Back