Opinions

The differences of opinions is amazing. I was watching a youtube video that, seeminly, is an interview of a professional bakery, and the way this worker handles his Lye seems crazy.

#1 everyone says add the LYE to the Water, NOT the Water to Lye, but watch this guy. I'm interested in the comments.

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUNm-3iyKno

He says to use skin and eye protection, states that he understands what exothermic and the consequences of it mean, yet uses none and does exactly what he's telling his audience is dangerous and should not be done.

Never add water to lye, only the reverse.

In reality, the typical lye recipe for pretzels is 2 to 3 tablespoons of lye to 1 liter of water. Hardly the recipe for an explosion and i'm sure this is not his first go round making pretzels. He seems to be doing the presentation well, explaining what not to do.

Might get crucified for saying this but...

I'm guilty of not taking all the precautions with lye baths, my ratio is a pound of lye to 4 gallons or less of water. I use dollar store rubber gloves and never wear glasses anymore. Would I recommend this to people? No.

I've handled lye soaked pans with bare hands while rinsing with water, i've put my hand in the lye bath by mistake - not thinking and didn't have a glove on, rinse and wash with soap and water, no issue. Had a couple of drops splash in my eye, panic mode set in but nothing noticeable.

Again, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone... I've had a few shirts ruined tho, black stains that won't come out.

Back